Instrument PCATDs

What’s the best PC flight simulator for instrument training. I’m working on my instrument rating now. I have the CH yoke and pedals. Does anyone have an opinion about On Top? I know they are about to release version 7.0. If there have been a lot of postings on this in the past just point me to them.

I have been looking at this myself. I found recent articles / review on Avweb.com and also I believe there was an article in Aviation Consumer. I will lood for the article in AC and fax it to you if you will send me your fax number.

OnTop and IP Trainer are both quite good.

While you’re still in training, use IP Trainer. Can be a bit frustrating at time but it’s worth it

Have fun,

Chris

What’s the best PC flight simulator for instrument training. I’m working on my instrument rating now. I have the CH yoke and pedals. Does anyone have an opinion about On Top? I know they are about to release version 7.0. If there have been a lot of postings on this in the past just point me to them.

Check this site. It has links to sim forums where you may find some info -

http://www.theatlantic.com/flightsim

Is anyone aware of a simulator that has the garmin 430 family as part of it? I am aware of the standalone garmin 430 simulator but am not aware of anyone that has it integrated into a full up simulator package.

Tom

I love VirtualWings Pro. It’s not only a Sim or trainer for IFR. You have different views out of the cockpit and can adjust the weather, i.e. clouds, wind, visibility for 3 different altitudes and also the time. So fly VFR in calm weather or try severe turbulence within clouds with zero visibility. Additionally you can set the probability of instrument/engine failure, so you can get quite busy in severe IMC.

It has a database of all paved US and European airports, all navaids (NDB, VOR, ILS) plus the complete topography. It records your flight including vertical profile, etc.

Try it with pedals, you’ll need right rudder for takeoff (see below).

Check out http://www.cat3.comwww.cat3.com

Anyone have experience with Elite for training? Looks very good on the web and in their literature?

Thanks.

Bob

I have been looking at this myself. I found recent articles / review on Avweb.com and also I believe there was an article in Aviation Consumer. I will lood for the article in AC and fax it to you if you will send me your fax number.

I have a few hours “flying” the Elite PCATD at my flying club. It is a reasonable platform for practicing approaches. In fact, I was sweating through NDB approaches just yesterday in the Elite (the airplane I’m training in doesn’t have an ADF). IMHO the sim is much more sensitive in pitch than the actual airplane. Apparently, the designers want - understandably - to ingrain pitch control in instrument pilots. All-in-all I think it’s a good way to prepare for an IFR flight prior to flying the real thing.

I’m getting a yoke & pedals at home and will soon be able to compare FS2000 Pro to the Elite

George

SR22 0095

Anyone have experience with Elite for training? Looks very good on the web and in their literature?

Thanks.

Bob

the elite pcatd rocks. i bought the 135 system and just upgraded to 6.1 genview. it’s as close to the real thing as you can get. call the company and ask them if anyone is in the area so you can take a look at it.

robert

Thanks.

Bob

Chris:
I have over 80 hrs simulator time with IP trainer and am sold. My instructor is blown away by the procedures & steps that i have retained. Under the hood and partial panel comes pretty easy now. The only thing you cannot experience is real world radios, approaches, turns, timing, twists, etc. done ALL at the same time. That’s the hard part. It is a good tool and will save you money, time and possibly your life. I like it because it allows me to practice every morning for a few minutes each day. It definitely keeps you sharp.

Mike

I love VirtualWings Pro. It’s not only a Sim or trainer for IFR. You have different views out of the cockpit and can adjust the weather, i.e. clouds, wind, visibility for 3 different altitudes and also the time. So fly VFR in calm weather or try severe turbulence within clouds with zero visibility. Additionally you can set the probability of instrument/engine failure, so you can get quite busy in severe IMC.

It has a database of all paved US and European airports, all navaids (NDB, VOR, ILS) plus the complete topography. It records your flight including vertical profile, etc.

Try it with pedals, you’ll need right rudder for takeoff (see below).

Check out http://www.cat3.comwww.cat3.com

Plus I forgot the MOST important thing about it: it’s for the MAC !!

(But since a while running on Win 9.x, too)

Have a great sim day…

Wilfried