FLIGHT SIMS

Are they worth it…more importantly, do they help? There is no substitute for experience in the air…but it is something to do late when the kids are in bed.

Thinking about Microsoft flight simulator 2002…Does/can it use a ‘stick’ or back to a yoke. Any suggestions are appreciated.

don

I’m still working on my private certificate but have hundreds of hours on the MSFS2000, and I firmly believe sims help IF you use them correctly.

To use MSFS correctly as a complement to real flight, one must:

• download 3rd party freeware or shareware aircraft which have much more realistic panels, handling characteristics and operating procedures than the default aircraft

• use 3rd party add-on software to fill in the realism voids, especially winds aloft and ATC

• buy a stick or yoke/rudder pedal combo.

• hand-fly instead of using autopilot all the time

• navigate as you normally would rather

The only significant remaining differences between virtual & real are (1) peripheral vision and (2) force feedback on the yoke when the trim wheel is adjusted.

As for value, the sims are less than $100. Add-ons, if carefully selected, can be limited to $300. Not chump change, but a better investment than a $100 hamburger!

Oh, and unless you have a high-end CPU with lots of RAM, wait for FS2002. FS2000 was a total redesign, is inefficient, and has lots of bugs. FS2002 release was imminent, but has been put on hold with the WTC tragedy and resultant negative publicity. It’s ready to go out the door, and I still expect it to be available during the Christmas shopping season.

Are they worth it…more importantly, do they help? There is no substitute for experience in the air…but it is something to do late when the kids are in bed.

Thinking about Microsoft flight simulator 2002…Does/can it use a ‘stick’ or back to a yoke. Any suggestions are appreciated.

don

I am a strong beliver in MS flight sims. I start on FS98 and now use FS2000 Pro. I have my computer randomly select an approach from my 5 approch books. I then fly it on the GNS430 sim. After that I hand fly it on MS. The sim is good enough that you fly with the approach plate for frequencies, headings, and procedure. I take off from the landing runway, fly the missed approach, then fly the full approach to a landing. (A side benefit is that my landings have improved.) I set visibility to the minimum specified on the approach plate. I have never actually landed for real at minimums, but MS has taught me to be wary of landing at minimums for circle to lands or when the runway is more than 10 miles from the nav aid.

As a CFI with many hours, I use Microsoft’s Flight Sim 2000 all the time. I use it mostly for the IFR training but landing a simulated B737 on the numbers has helped my real landings in real life. I mostly fly a Cessna 172. I feel flight sim is very close to real.

I can email you a site to go to and down load a Cirrus SR20/22 add on for FS2000. It has an ARNAV moving map with it. I have helped over 150 pilots on this site use it already. MS FS2000 will be used by my SR20 partner before he starts his instrument training. It will help him, it will help you.

Good luck

Still working on my private too. If we hadn’t been grounded, I’d have completed my check ride. I have found MSFS2001 to be an effective learning aid. Especially when you download realtime weather data, a standard option. When I’ve been grounded for WX reasons, I go home and fly the route anyway. Before my two cross countries, I did the flight on MSFS, it was reassuring to see the major landmarks and get a sense for the timing of the checkpoints along the way. Agree that the missing element is the forces on the flight surfaces, but hey it beats dreaming and develops some of the scanning, and instrument skills safely on the ground. Well worth the minimal investment.

I think the SIM is very useful for learning/practising Instrument work…as far as flying the plane/takeoffs/landings, I think it helps marginally. I use FS2000 with a yoke/rudder pedals by CH Products.

THANKS Everyone!..I will await FS2002!

I think the SIM is very useful for learning/practising Instrument work…as far as flying the plane/takeoffs/landings, I think it helps marginally. I use FS2000 with a yoke/rudder pedals by CH Products.

Can anyone describe the differences between FS Professional and the standard edition? MS took the information on the product off of their website since it is between versions??

thanks in advance, jb

As a CFI with many hours, I use Microsoft’s Flight Sim 2000 all the time. I use it mostly for the IFR training but landing a simulated B737 on the numbers has helped my real landings in real life. I mostly fly a Cessna 172. I feel flight sim is very close to real.

I can email you a site to go to and down load a Cirrus SR20/22 add on for FS2000. It has an ARNAV moving map with it. I have helped over 150 pilots on this site use it already. MS FS2000 will be used by my SR20 partner before he starts his instrument training. It will help him, it will help you.

Good luck

To quote from the box, Professional FS2000 features:

2 additional aircraft, King Air 350 + Mooney Bravo

Six additional cities in high resolution

Two additional IFR panels

Flight Dynamics and Panel Editor

Training Flights for the Cessna

A more comprehensive manual

Other than what the box says, it also has 4 video tutorials, high-quality sound add-ons, extra gauges you can’t have for the regular edition, and a rebate for your first Cessna flight.

For FS2002, I think it will be a similar bag of goodies for the Professional Edition but I don’t know the details on exactly what’s in.

Can anyone describe the differences between FS Professional and the standard edition? MS took the information on the product off of their website since it is between versions??

thanks in advance, jb

Good luck

A few years ago, I too found older versions of the sim very helpful when getting my private and instrument rating. But what was missing in the sim and in my IFR training was GPS. If this Cirrus add-on download has an accurate panel for the 430 and Arnav, then it should be a must…

thanks in advance, jb

Good luck