Instrument Training

As there are so many good and experienced pilots on this board and even a couple of CFI’s, I would like to know if someone could help me with some kind of training aid to improve my instrument scanning technique. I am working towards my CPL/IF license and scanning in a high enough frequency seems to be difficult for me to master. Many thanks in advance.

As there are so many good and experienced pilots on this board and even a couple of CFI’s, I would like to know if someone could help me with some kind of training aid to improve my instrument scanning technique. I am working towards my CPL/IF license and scanning in a high enough frequency seems to be difficult for me to master. Many thanks in advance.

I don’t know about techniques but I too am training for the Instrument rating. My approach is to use a PC sim. If I crank up the turbulence setting, it’s either scan fast or crash.

I don’t know about techniques but I too am training for the Instrument rating. My approach is to use a PC sim. If I crank up the turbulence setting, it’s either scan fast or crash.

I also used PC sims a lot for practice when I was doing IFR training early last year. I generally preferred sims other than Microsoft FS 2000, from XPlane to ProPilot, but FS2000 does have one particular virtue. I found that if you set the simulation speed to either 2x or 4x real-time, and then added some turbulence too, it really forced you to speed up the scan, fwiw.