I'm now a member.... Where is the best place to start getting myself educated on what to look for in a used SR22?

IPC twice a year??? Yikes … I only have to worry about that every two years in my Cessna…

What causes the extra requirements in a Cirrus? Insurance?

Rest I’m aware of.

Th Cirrus is no different. I do IPCs twice a year because we have so little IMC.

Insurance requires only one IPC with a CSIP per year. Once I got over 1500 hours in the Cirrus, they no longer require the CSIP - A CFII is ok.

The point of the Turbo isn’t that you get it if you need to deal with terrain. That’s only one of the many compelling reasons to fly higher (and I mean the high 'teens, not the 20’s which IMO are too dangerous). You get the turbo because it is better to fly higher, not because you have to fly higher. Here’s why.

Also, 25,000 is not the service ceiling of the Cirrus Turbo. Here’s why.

Also, “shock cooling” in these aircraft is an old wive’s tale. Here’s why.

Are you getting the point that there is a TON of information on the Member’s forums? [:D]

Gordon beat me to it. Shock cooling in my opinion has no scientific basis. Here is an AVWeb article that discusses in detail about it.

Yup… All day long I have been reading and studying instead of billing clients… Going to have to find a way to keep this to personal hours. Not work hours… Best $65 bucks I even spent by the way… BLOWN AWAY!

I had no idea of the learning curve involved to fly this plane… thinking about slowing down my buying decision until I have a better concept of what I’m getting myself into.

You could always add a supercharger to a G1/G2.

Don’t get too concerned about it. Certainly we micro-analyze and dissect every aspect of the airplane and flying and owning it, but ultimately it’s just another light GA single and it’s pretty easy (and a lot of fun) to fly.

You can also add a supercharger to your 182.

Forget shock cooling, at least in the Cirrus TN installation. The TN is easier to fly than the NA. If you want it to make sense, you’ll have to be willing to make a good portion of your flights at 12000 to 17000 feet and (obviously) use oxygen. Most TN pilots use cannulas with on-demand delivery systems (Mountain High O2D2, Precise Flight X3) which makes oxygen very comfortable to use. Most TN pilots will not go into the flight levels unless absolutely necessary - and some not even then, they rather cancel a flight requiring that. Too much risk.

In the TN, you have a choice between two climb power settings (ROP and LOP) and one cruise power setting (around 73 percent regardless of altitude thanks to the TN, always running well LOP set by fuel flow, not EGT/TIT, keeping TIT below 1600 F and CHT below 380). The cruise power setting is also used for normal descents. If you exceed the green arc speed-wise, you just pull back on the power as needed. Then you land, taxi in and switch off. Temps through all of that will be well within the normal range - if they are not, your TN needs to be set-up properly). I fail to understand why, after a lengthy low-power approach to landing, any turbo would need a cool-down period on the ground. However, some POHs on other turbo aircraft seem to require it. The Cirrus does not.

There is some evidence that “turbo cool down time” actually increases temps - the temps inside the cowl are probably lower on the rollout than at any time after that, as airflow decreases substantially once you get to taxi speed.

via COPAme
Samsung SM-T820

Not only is there “some evidence”, based on the notion preached in the past that turbos need cool down time; I have looked at a half dozen Cirrus TN and T airplanes and watched what actually happens to the temperatures after landing while sitting on the ramp.

Not only do the oil temperatures not cool down while sitting still, the TITs actually rise and sometimes the oil temperature itself increases due to no airflow over the oil cooler.

So, at least in our vintage of turbos, sitting to allow turbo “cool down” is an old wive’s tale.