ICE PROTECTION

Can anybody explain me wich is the difference between our ice-protection and the ice-protection of the Mooney Ovation?
Is there any chance the ice-protection of CIRRUS would become certified?

In reply to:

the difference between our ice-protection and the ice-protection of the Mooney Ovation?

Aynard,

I don’t know the system on the Mooney Ovation, but I do know some of what separates our system from a one that is certified for FIKI. It boils down to these things:

• Areas of coverage… we’d need separate coverage for the windshield and vertical stabilizer
  • Volume of deice fluid… we’d need more (don’t know how much)
  • Systems considerations… we’d need a backup pump, and maybe other similar things
  • Extent and type of testing for certification… lots of expensive and time consuming testing that is not mandatory for what we have.

There may be more.

Mike.

A year ago Cirrus discussed designing a whole new deice system that WOULD be certified but will take several years to develop. Do not know if they plan to continue to develop this or not. In the meantime, the TKS was an option bty Cirrus to give us SOMETHING for deice while they spend the time to work on the new system. So they would not try to develop a certified TKS system unless they abandon their electric anti ice system.