Honest criticism vs. blind excitement

List of items that I DON’T LIKE about Cirrus

If you link and list were honest, that would be fine. The reality is that it is just a veiled excuse to visit a particular web site.
But it the interest of honesty, I did get suckered in, so here is the list albiet, a bit over-the-top and biased.

List of items that I DON’T LIKE about Cirrus:

• it should have a manual trim or some kind of a trim indicator

a) you mean it should have just one more mechanical thing on an airplane. Thanks but no thanks. If my trim breaker pops, and will not reset (which has never happened) I will land and have it looked at. No big deal.

• does not have anything to discharge static electricity
    (almost unable to use radios in prolonged IMC)

I can’t say that this is absolutely no problem. In 500 hrs of all weather flying in my Cirrus, I have never experienced a problem of the magnitude suggested.
I have never been NORDO

• why flaps are non-essential? They do not drain electricity unless used and could be very useful if you have landing assured

That’s right. Flaps are not essential. You can land and take off without them, at 50% or 100% Flaps are not for draining electricity. Truthfully. I don’t understand this point. It is a bit incoherant

• backup gauges - it would be nice to have them on a vacuum rather then everything electric.

Well, you can put as much weight and backup gauges as you want, in the aircraft. All newer Cirrus after 2001 are electric. Modern is good. I believe that this is the same with Lance and most new aircraft. If you wish, you can stick with an old airplane. My CIrrus happens to have a dual vac system, although I admit to having an all electric Century HSI. It’s just more reliable.

• no turn coordinator - no way to make timed turns if your PFD has failed
    2000-2003 pre-PFD all have turn coordinators. That’s just the nature of progress. Again, you can always buy an older plane or even, if you wish, install a turn coordinator. Mine is again, electric with battery backup.

• many items on the checklist should be revised - specially on the “Runup”

OK, so revise them. Each to his own.

• no way to see ice (specially clear ice) - should have something sticking out for a first indication
  1. You are not supposed to be flying in ice? 2) Look out the window. 3) That’s true, in a Piper or Cessna, you can stick your hand out of the window to detect ice for a 1st indication.
  • location of the circuit breakers - just insane
    Not the best, but I have not gone insane. In fact, it’s not even a problem. Just learn your aircraft. They are all different, you know.

But, thank you for sharing your over-the-top, angry comments
Sincerly
An happy Cirrus owner

Michal : Each to his own. You brought up some very good points. Everything about flying is a compromise.
For instance, manual trim would be nice. It would add significantly to the weight of the airplane, and most importantly, really isn’t necessary. It is relatively easy to over power full trim delfections, such that you would get with a runaway A/P trim. I sure wouldn’t want to fly that way for long, but I could easily fol long enough to land safely. And yes, since it is a possible failure, I have practiced it. Once landed it would have to be fixed as it should on any aircraft.
Same thing with flaps, it would be nice, but so what? This would be really pretty far down on my wish list. Ice, just isn’t that hard to see. You may miss the first trace, but anything more becomes pretty apparent. Clearly it is more important to stay out it if not in a plane certified for known ice, but it is not that difficult to see.
I agree with you on the breaker locations. It could be better, but it is not ‘insane.’ Most Cirrus owners i know place a piece of stick on flet on what they feel are the important breakers. In a pinch, they don’t even have to look down. Perhaps you have exaggerated the drawback a wee bit?
Absolutely, the plane is not perfect. Are any? It is not a bush plane or a cargo hauler. I would not land on grass (although many owners do.) If I had a family of 5, wanted to use it for aerial photography, or only had $100K to spend, it wouldn’t be on the top of my short list. But for flying my family of 4 around on medium long trips, it can’t be beat by any new plane for anywhere near the price. However, consider that Cirrus most be doing something right. They are the # 2 manufacturer of SE GA airplanes in the world, and putting a lot of pressure on #1. Cirrus’s accomplishments are truly outstanding and they are even profitable!!!

Let me ask you a question: Have you ever flown in a Cirrus SR22? While you may be different, and that is why you can still go out and buy that Cessna (I used to own one) Piper, or whatever, most people who have flow a Cirrus really like them. But as my uncle used to say; “That’s why there are 8 horses in a horse race.” Every Cirrus hater I have taken flying was a convert within the first 5 minutes. The rest of the flight I just sat back and watched the smile grow. If you live in the midwest, come on by and I’ll take you for a ride.

I do have one last question for you: Why would you come on the CIRRUS OWNERS & Pilots Assn. Web site and just post something that inflammatory anonymously? Are you just trying to evoke flames? I think most people would be nuts for buying a new Piper these days with all the competition which I think is better, but you won’t find me going on a Piper owner’s web site and saying that.

Website hit-counter scam again and again!

Am I missing something about the trim indicator? Hasn’t anyone looked at the shaft of the control stick?

I’ll take the bait as well:

1. The plane is just too darn fast. No time to smell the roses - you just departed and before you can say “spam can” you’re there!

2. Speaking of smell - what’s up with that new car leather smell. Can’t they put in a calibrated fuel and exhaust leak into the cockpit so it at least smells like a typical GA aircraft?

3. Handling characteristics. Just a bit too easy to fly and light on the controls. I’d much prefer the truck-like handling of a C210.

4. Avionics. Give me an ol’ Piper, an ADF and a star to steer her by anytime. And I like to live on the edge. What’s the deal with the moving map? Real pilots ONLY use paper sectionals.

5. Cockpit comfort. It’s too wide, and too easy to get into the back seat. You can actually stand up and easily step into the rear seat. What the heck is that about? Give me that one door, contort into the back seat Bonanza F33.

6. My friends all want to fly with me. I “just want to be alone” again…naturally…

There’s plenty more angry bile where this came from…anyone care to pile on?

U
1-107935-attention_whore4.jpg

In reply to:

Am I missing something about the trim indicator? Hasn’t anyone looked at the shaft of the control stick?

In reply to:

• it should have a manual trim or some kind of a trim indicator

No, No. We do have trim indicators. It’s those flappers out there toward the end of the wings.
And also, if the nose is pointed down, and you have to pull back to keep the plane level, it is out of trim. Isn’t that a good indicator?

Dennis, I personally would like a trim wheel. I think it could be easily done using optical encoding off of a trim wheel located neear the flap switch. That way you wouldn’t have to redesign the basic trim system. I do miss being able to tweak in the trim like on a 172. I don’t miss the 172’s cramped space, slow speed, …