Glacier Girl & Friends

Enjoy–what a span of technology!!

Tom,

Why does that picture look fake to me? i.e. the props don’t look like they’re spinning and I would think the jets would have a higher angle of attack.

Then again I’m on the least coast and maybe the rain got to me…

Walt

In reply to:

Enjoy–what a span of technology!!

Glacier Girl is a P38 Lightning, not a P51 Mustang. Am I missing something?

In reply to:

Tom,
Why does that picture look fake to me? i.e. the props don’t look like they’re spinning and I would think the jets would have a higher angle of attack.
Then again I’m on the least coast and maybe the rain got to me…
Walt

Walt,

I think I was with Tom when he took this picture at the Sun N Fun this past April. Either he took the picture or Manfred did.

Mason

Look’s like Oshkosh 2005 to me. Saw the formation with my own eyes.

In reply to:

Glacier Girl is a P38 Lightning, not a P51 Mustang. Am I missing something?

The last plane in the picture is a P38 Lightning, but is the picture real?

obviously missed the other side of the picture as I saw only 3 aircraft

In reply to:

The last plane in the picture is a P38 Lightning, but is the picture real?

Walt,

Can’t comment on THAT picture. But they did a Heritage flight like that at OSH and I have multiple pictures of it. Try this one (Travis took it, swear on a stack of bibles its real): [;)]
1-169521-HeritageFlightF4andP38.jpg

hahaha–Walt—interesting that with the advent of Photoshop we are all skeptics! [:)] Yup, it is real and I also have 2 other cool shots. The resolution is not so hot, my digital is only 1.6MB—Mason, Manfred and I attended Sun & Fun last year and that is where they flew. It was “goose bump city” for me when I saw these flying all together. My Dad (a fighter pilot) was called in to help WWII pilots keep from killing themselves in the P38—if you had a engine problem it would snap over really quick if you were not paying close attention!

Roger,

I can see a higher angle of attack on the jets in this shot. My brain still wants to reject this picture since it is telling me that the jets and the WWII planes (my two favorite!) shouldn’t be in the same shot.

Must have been something to see real time. They had a P51 at the Prescott Air Fair a couple weeks ago and the unforgettable sound of that plane is awesome.

Walt

Tom, it was this year and not last.

Manfred

Manfred, I just feel older!! [;)]

In reply to:

Roger,
I can see a higher angle of attack on the jets in this shot. My brain still wants to reject this picture since it is telling me that the jets and the WWII planes (my two favorite!) shouldn’t be in the same shot.
Must have been something to see real time. They had a P51 at the Prescott Air Fair a couple weeks ago and the unforgettable sound of that plane is awesome.
Walt

Yep, angle of attack is dramatically different - really cool to watch. A Mach 2+ fighter just doesn’t do as well in slow flight as a mere piston job of any category - wonder why? [;)]

BTW, on a similar note I have a friend that owns a recently restored P51 (Daddy’s Girl). Have been up in it a couple of times and most recently flew some formation with it in the Cirrus. I should say they flew formation on me - I am not worthy to fly formation on it [;)] Guy that flies it is a former Reno racer and one great pilot. But there is a lot more nose up on that Mustang than my Cirrus.

I have pictures of 6CD in formation with that Mustang taken from a 3rd plane as well as the view out our window. Will submit some for our 06 calendar. I would post it, but don’t have it here on this computer. But I do have a picture of the plane. That is me in the back seat… It does have dual controls too… needless to say it is great fun [:)]

Wow!!

Ask me if I’m super jealous…

Walt