Archos/other volume - Garmin SB

Many have posted of difficulties getting enough volume when they connect Archos Jukeboxes, CD players, etc. to the Stereo Input connections on their SR2x’s. I’m among them. The problem is that the sound does come through, but it’s too soft to hear (or hear easily) with the engine running.
Some have no problem at all; this is not a CONSISTENT problem for all installations. Others have changed squelch settings and perceived an improvement. Not so for me - nothing worked.
My Avionics shop notified me yesterday that Garmin issued Service Bulletin No. 0113 on July 13th.

PURPOSE
This modification increases the gain of the Music1 and Music2 inputs from unity gain to a gain of 10 dB.
Note This modification will increase the music level from Audio Devices connected to the Music1 and Music2 inputs, but may also increase unwanted noise levels.

DESCRIPTION
This modification consists of the removal of four (4) resistors inside the unit.

The SB goes on to say that this is modification will be done only if the customer requests it; the unit will not be changed in production. As such, the work (2 hours) will not be covered under any warranty, but will be the responsibility of the customer.

I thought that 2 hours was a lot, until I read through the rest of the SB and realized that the work covers the removal of the surface-mounted resistors (either 2 or 4, depending on the exact model). Surface-mount components present a particular difficulty for many (most?) avionics shops, because often they’re not properly equipped to deal with this technology. In addition, the unit must then be put through a standard battery of tests before being returned to service.

FWIW…

Mike.

My Avionics shop notified me yesterday that Garmin issued Service Bulletin No. 0113 on July 13th.

Mike,

Until an owners group can help us to monitor these things :), how can normal folks like us get service bulletins? I thought they were supposed to be sent to us automatically; in fact, I received previous Garmin service bulletins by way of Cirrus. Do you know whether this service bulletin will also eventually be mailed by Cirrus, or whether they sort of decide which are the ones important enough to mail to customers? (In the grand scheme of things, I could see this particular one not making the “important” cutoff, if there is one).

I thought that 2 hours was a lot, until I read through the rest of the SB and realized that the work covers the removal of the surface-mounted resistors (either 2 or 4, depending on the exact model). Surface-mount components present a particular difficulty for many (most?) avionics shops, because often they’re not properly equipped to deal with this technology.

Did you see exactly where on the PCB the resistors were? Is it possible to get at them with a small soldering iron without frying the other components? If so, shouldn’t be too bad; if not, do you know what method they’ll be using to remove them?

Thanks!

Steve

When I first installed an Archos Jukebox in my SR22 I connected the “Line Out” port on the Archos to the “Music” port in the center console of the '22. With this configuration the music was too soft, and not really audible. Moving the connection from the “Line Out” port to the “Ear” port on the Archos fixed it. I now have to turn down the volume on the Archos (from max), as it is almost too loud.
Does this solution not work with other SR22 owners?
Dan

Many have posted of difficulties getting enough volume when they connect Archos Jukeboxes, CD players, etc. to the Stereo Input connections on their SR2x’s. I’m among them. The problem is that the sound does come through, but it’s too soft to hear (or hear easily) with the engine running.

Some have no problem at all; this is not a CONSISTENT problem for all installations. Others have changed squelch settings and perceived an improvement. Not so for me - nothing worked.

PURPOSE

_This modification increases the gain of the Music1 and Music2 inputs from unity gain to a gain of 10 dB.

Note This modification will increase the music level from Audio Devices connected to the Music1 and Music2 inputs, but may also increase unwanted noise levels._

DESCRIPTION

This modification consists of the removal of four (4) resistors inside the unit.

The SB goes on to say that this is modification will be done only if the customer requests it; the unit will not be changed in production. As such, the work (2 hours) will not be covered under any warranty, but will be the responsibility of the customer.

I thought that 2 hours was a lot, until I read through the rest of the SB and realized that the work covers the removal of the surface-mounted resistors (either 2 or 4, depending on the exact model). Surface-mount components present a particular difficulty for many (most?) avionics shops, because often they’re not properly equipped to deal with this technology. In addition, the unit must then be put through a standard battery of tests before being returned to service.

FWIW…

Mike.

Thanks Mike. I just bought the RIO MP3 Player, pluged it in and had the same problem with volume. Thanks to you, I hope to get it fixed before I leave for OSH tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it works when they finish working on it.
I only bought the RIO because I could not get the Archos/jukebox in time for the trip. I just loaded 14 Albums that I converted to MP3…I think about 630MB. The RIO player looks like a CD player and it plays either MP3 or Standard CD’s. Burning the CD was fast, but it took a long time to convert to MP3 form the original CD’s. How many albums can the Archose hold?
I hope to see a lot of owners at OSH. Is anything planned? Dinner? If someone plans something, call me on my cell 954 610-5505 and leave a message. Thanks in advance.
Denis

PURPOSE

_This modification increases the gain of the Music1 and Music2 inputs from unity gain to a gain of 10 dB.

Note This modification will increase the music level from Audio Devices connected to the Music1 and Music2 inputs, but may also increase unwanted noise levels._

DESCRIPTION

FWIW…

Mike.

Until an owners group can help us to monitor these things :), how can normal folks like us get service bulletins? I thought they were supposed to be sent to us automatically; in fact, I received previous Garmin service bulletins by way of Cirrus. Do you know whether this service bulletin will also eventually be mailed by Cirrus, or whether they sort of decide which are the ones important enough to mail to customers? (In the grand scheme of things, I could see this particular one not making the “important” cutoff, if there is one).

Sorry, Steve - I don’t know these answers. This particular SB is marked “To: All GARMIN Aviation Service Centers”, so maybe we aren’t supposed to get it automatically.

Did you see exactly where on the PCB the resistors were? Is it possible to get at them with a small soldering iron without frying the other components? If so, shouldn’t be too bad; if not, do you know what method they’ll be using to remove them?

Yes. The board is not terribly crowded (as these things go), so someone who’s skilled enough, using a fine-enough soldering iron, should do OK. A “trick” I’ve used before to de-solder SMT resistors is to carefully break the resistor on purpose, so that each half falls off as you de-solder it, and there’s no need to try to get both pads loose simultaneously.

• Mike

Does this solution not work with other SR22 owners?
Well, not for this SR20 owner, anyway!

:frowning:

Mike.

I had an interesting problem on a recent flight using my Archos CD. It was working fine and then suddenly stopped. At the same time I became aware that I was being called by ATC and despite my replies they could not hear me. After about 5 minutes, having removed the Archos from the line they could hear me again. But then I found that the hard disc on the Archos had been completely wiped clean. Anyone else had similar problem?

Mike Glazer

N184CD

Based at Turweston EGBT

UK

…But then I found that the hard disc on the Archos had been completely wiped clean. Anyone else had similar problem?

Mike Glazer
N184CD
Based at Turweston EGBT
UK
Mike,
No, but given the investment in time that it takes to put the music on the Archos in the first place, that’s not a nice thought. Obviously also dangerous if it can somehow interfere with the operation of the rest of the audio panel - the exact mechanism of that one is entirely not obvious!
I have had my Archos do a couple of strange things occasionally – like tell me that a folder that should contain an album is empty; then, after power off/on, it’s back to normal.

• Mike.

I have had my Archos do a couple of strange things

Mine has worked perfectly - make sure you have the latest version of the firmware - can be downloaded from www.archos.com. The latest is 4.53g.

Mine has worked perfectly - make sure you have the latest version of the firmware - can be downloaded from www.archos.com. The latest is 4.53g.

Clyde,

I had the previous version - now I have 4.53g. The update is quick and painless.

Thanks for the tip.

• Mike.

Denis, Just go to their website www.archos.com and the info is all there. They say it’ll hold 150 CD which is 100 hours of music. They just came out with a travel kit which includes a 12v car adaptor and a remote control.

When I rip a CD to MP3 it takes 15min on my 500mhz machine and 6-7 min on my 1g cpu.

Thanks Mike. I just bought the RIO MP3 Player, pluged it in and had the same problem with volume. Thanks to you, I hope to get it fixed before I leave for OSH tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it works when they finish working on it.

I only bought the RIO because I could not get the Archos/jukebox in time for the trip. I just loaded 14 Albums that I converted to MP3…I think about 630MB. The RIO player looks like a CD player and it plays either MP3 or Standard CD’s. Burning the CD was fast, but it took a long time to convert to MP3 form the original CD’s. How many albums can the Archose hold?

I hope to see a lot of owners at OSH. Is anything planned? Dinner? If someone plans something, call me on my cell 954 610-5505 and leave a message. Thanks in advance.

Denis

How many albums can the Archose hold?

Denis,

My Archos holds ~150 CDs. They are releasing one (have released one?) that will hold 500 CDs.

I will be at OSH Tue-Thu. Call me - 732.213.7905

Mike.