Garmin 430

I was looking at a plane with 1 Garmin 430 nav com. Does this limit you to listen to only one channel at a time? I am not familiar with their operation. Is this the reason for the Dual 430s in most planes?

Thanks

Al

In reply to:

I was looking at a plane with 1 Garmin 430 nav com. Does this limit you to listen to only one channel at a time? I am not familiar with their operation. Is this the reason for the Dual 430s in most planes?
Thanks
Al

Alfred:

Although there is certainly some convenience in having two Garmin 430’s I think the main reason for two Garmin 430’s is the redundancy.

For those aircraft with the PFDs there is at least one company that is doing an installation of a Garmin VOR/LOC head left of the PFD so that a true redundancy will exist.

It is certainly an advantage to be able to listen to ATIS and perhaps call flight service, etc. on the second radio.

In reply to:

I was looking at a plane with 1 Garmin 430 nav com.
Al

Any Cirrus would have in addition either a Garmin 420 or 250XL. Both have COMM functions. The 420 is an IFR certified GPS with COMM but not VOR/LOC. The 250XL is a VFR only GPS/COMM (see the Garmin website for details on these units). I have flown an SR20 “A” model with just the 430 and 250XL for 13-14 hr. It is a perfectly capable IFR machine and still much more advanced than any older aircraft out there.

In reply to:

Thanks
Al

Al,

I have a SR20 with a 430 and 250XL and do fly IFR. I do not have a stormscope nor traffic. I use the #2 radio to pick up ATIS and also set the GPS for direct to my destination. Sometimes the second radio is used by a co-pilot for monitoring or communication to flight watch, etc. However, with the 430 I can do everything needed for IFR. Sometimes switching frequencies and entering frequencies increases the work load.

For a lot more info on the Cirrus why don’t you join COPA - the $50/year is the best bargain in aviation.

Emil

In reply to:

Al,

I know of NO radio that allows you to listen to more than one frequency at a time.

The reason for dual Garmins (or any radio for that matter) is for backup in case there is a failure of one radio.

Many people with two NAV/COM units will use both to monitor a second frequency but the real reason to have 2 is redundancy.
Al

I currently own a Beechcraft Sundowner and belong that that organization so I know the real value of these organizations. I plan to join COPA once I decide to definitely buy the Cirrus which is mostly a slam dunk at this time. My plane is all but sold but wanted to wait until is actually disappears into the sunset before joining COPA. Thanks for your and others valuable information.

Al

Al,

I attempted to send you a private message, but the COPA forum software doesn’t allow private messages to non-members (another reason to spend the $50). Anyway, please email me at marc@postriver.com. Thanks!

The Garmin (ne UPSAT) SL30 allows you to have one frequency as primary (RX/TX) while monitoring a 2nd frequency (RX only). I had one of these in my 260se/stol and it was a terrific unit.

I’m a little confused. With a single Garmin 430 you can monitor and transmit on one Voice Freq., and monitor one Nav freq, which often includes ATIS, TWEBs, etc. Is this what you are getting at? Or are you inquiring if you can listen to ATC on one freq and the local UNICOM on a second?

Most GA pilots I’ve flown with only monitor or use one freq at a time. The second tranceiver may be set up on a secondary freq., essentially used as a stand-by. When needed, the pilot mutes the primary and listens to the secondary. This method saves time in setting up and switching freqs. I’ve often desired a stereo system that allows each radio to be monitored in separate ears, but there is little demand for this feature.

As a former radio operator, using the flip flop feature of the Garmin, it is possible to monitor another freq., when one the primary is silent, but I can’t imagine doing so when flying or wanting to do so.

In reply to:

The Garmin (ne UPSAT) SL30 allows you to have one frequency as primary (RX/TX) while monitoring a 2nd frequency (RX only). I had one of these in my 260se/stol and it was a terrific unit.

Thanks. Didn’t know that.

I put a SL30 in a very tight paneled Beech 35…VERY NICE unit!..Customer loves the ability to listen to traffic on one channel and R/T on the 1st. Crystal clear communications at a fair price considering it’s a radio and 1/2.

Regards,

Jim