Fueling mats

Does anyone have a source for fueling mats? The FBO in Duluth used one. It drapes over the leading ede of the wing and has a hole to access the fuel cap. I’ve checked some of the usual aviation sources with no luck. I thought this was overkill until my local Cirrus Service Center scratched the wing with a gritty fuel hose.

Roger

Roger: I recall mention of the fueling mats in the Cirrus SR22 Training Manual. If anybody is at DLH in the near future, a good source as the where they cam from would be the FBO that is using them. I won’t be there until the week of 2-11-02. If nobody finds out by then, I’ll ask. It certainly beats a scratched wing.

You can get them at Avfuel. Their catalog # AFP1824 “Urothane wing mat” would seem to fit the bill. Call 800 521-4106.

I tried the drawer liner from HD but found it entirely inadequate and difficult to keep in place. I took some info off one of the mats used a t the FBO and contacted the maker at AVFMATS.com They make two models #1 . model 2415-1$30.00/3.5lbs standard nitrile, #2. Model 2517.1 $40.00/3.0 lbs urethane all + S & H
For quantities of 12 + there is a $5.00 discount

John

It looks like there are two different mats in the Avfuel catalog. The solid mat which I have seen used at some FBOs is pretty heavy. Fine for an FBO but not great to carry in the plane. The mesh version looks a lot lighter. Has anyone seen this in use?

In reply to:

It looks like there are two different mats in the Avfuel catalog. The solid mat which I have seen used at some FBOs is pretty heavy. Fine for an FBO but not great to carry in the plane. The mesh version looks a lot lighter. Has anyone seen this in use?

Lou,

Weight is exactly what made me go out and buy a roll of that rubber mesh counter liner (also sold as drawer liner, or as “Benchtop Vise” at Home Depot). I cut out a piece to the shape I like and use that. The right size weighs only a few ounces, and it works great. (It also folds up to a much smaller package than a regular fueling mat.)

• Mike.

Thanks. I have some of the Home Depot material left over from another project but wasn’t sure it would be substantial enough.

In reply to:

Thanks. I have some of the Home Depot material left over from another project but wasn’t sure it would be substantial enough.

Lou,

It’s not very substantial, but it’s a whole lot better than nothing. I’ve seen it save my wing from a ding or two.