French Aero Diesel as SR20 Option?

According to October’s issue of Flying magazine, Cirrus Design is considering offering the French Aero Diesel as an option in its SR 20. The French consortium SMA is anticipating European JAA approval for the jet-A burning diesel by the end of this year and FAA approval by the second quarter of 2001. The engine is a 230 HP turbodiesel that can produce 200 hp at 12,000 feet. It burns only 6.9 gph at 64% power. The engine cost is expected to be 20-30% higher. The SR305, as its called, will eventually have a 3,000 hr TBO. Some of the fuel efficiency will translate into added payload. The engine will eventually be offered on the Socata Trinidad. Socata and SMA are subsidiaries of the same European Aerospace firm EADS.

I sure hope we’ll be able to drop an engine like this into the SR20 airframes that are coming out now. The day will come (in my lifetime) when 100LL is no longer available (and I’m sure the progressive FBOs at airports such as San Jose will be leading the way into this era).

Beltz, G.

According to October’s issue of Flying magazine, Cirrus Design is considering offering the French Aero Diesel as an option in its SR 20. The French consortium SMA is anticipating European JAA approval for the jet-A burning diesel by the end of this year and FAA approval by the second quarter of 2001. The engine is a 230 HP turbodiesel that can produce 200 hp at 12,000 feet. It burns only 6.9 gph at 64% power. The engine cost is expected to be 20-30% higher. The SR305, as its called, will eventually have a 3,000 hr TBO. Some of the fuel efficiency will translate into added payload. The engine will eventually be offered on the Socata Trinidad. Socata and SMA are subsidiaries of the same European Aerospace firm EADS.

You beat me to this post. I’ve been planning to write it since I read the article on Saturday. It mentioned they were in talks with CD. For an extra 10-20 grand over the current price it would almost make the sr22 obsolete. I am not an aerospace engineer but 30 more HP at take off would solve most of the climb problems that people in this forum complain about. 173 horses (75% power)at 12000 ft probably would add ~15 knots to the cruise speed compared to the 150 HP at 6500 ft currently. The article mentioned the engine weighs less than a gasoline engine but didn’t say how much (maybe enough to pay for air conditioning?). The decreased fuel burn in GPH partially offset by a higher fuel density (pounds per gallon) will allow the plane to have either a significantly greater range or more likely a greater full-fuel payload by decreasing the volume of the tanks. Fewer moving parts, a potential 3000 hr TBO, and the use of cheaper jet-A all will contribute to the recoupment of the initial increased cost.

My 5/2002 delivery date is looking better and better. If only CD doesn’t drag its feet…

mdz

Speaking of engines, check out avweb.com. (A great site!) There is a terrific, informative and rowdy, forum going right now on about piston engines and their future.

As long as we’re dreaming, check out the Sterling engine: www.qrmc.com

Wait a minute: isn’t CD a partner–along with TCM–in NASA’s “next generation powerplant” consortium? Does this mean we may get a choice of 2 different diesels in the future?

From a technical standpoint, I think the TCM engine is more interesting: 2-stroke cycle with 4 exhaust valves per cylinder. Should have higher HP/weight.

Wait a minute: isn’t CD a partner–along with TCM–in NASA’s “next generation powerplant” consortium? Does this mean we may get a choice of 2 different diesels in the future?

From a technical standpoint, I think the TCM engine is more interesting: 2-stroke cycle with 4 exhaust valves per cylinder. Should have higher HP/weight.

From a European-customer perspective (far higher 100LL prices), and for Cirus(investors) commercial perspective, why wait when a tested and earlier certified Jet A piston engine becomes available in 2001 that will do the job ?