Forum debugging

I’m still finding an intermittent GREEN indicator to tell me which post is new since my last visit. Is this part of the debug process?

Walt N224AZ

Second Walt’s opinion, you’ve done a great job so far. That’ll have to do until you’re better paid, though.

Steve,

Whatever you’ve done in the last two days seem to have done the trick. The forums seem to be back up to speed. Very nice job!

Paul

I too, just had the new message indicator go away for all of my new posts. A few minutes later it was showing new posts again. Whew.

The green icons shouldn’t be changing, but as I have been making some small changes to try to determine the problem, it’s possible that you guys happened to wander in while I was making some of the changes and something was not quite working right…

Steve

Ditto for me too. I use IE, Netscape 4.7 & 6.2 and was finding that 6 was slower than 4.7. Now on 6 it’s faster than a few days ago. Great job

As a data point, and with respect and gratitude for what you’ve done to build this system, I still find response time (a) slower than any other site I frequently visit, except for one with its actual server in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and (b) not notably different from before.

Thanks for all you’ve done, good luck in further debugging.

In reply to:

Whatever you’ve done in the last two days seem to have done the trick. The forums seem to be back up to speed. Very nice job!

Hello, Paul!

Glad they’re flying for some people, but I suspect it has more to do with luck and timing than anything I’ve done.

We’re still working out some of the details but I believe within a week to 10 days we should be able to have the performance problems resovled for good.

Thanks for your patience!
Steve

My experience is that the forum is slow during busy times and fast when things are quiet. “Who’s Online” is a clue as to how many people are on, but it doesn’t show those whose profile has been set to keep them hidden. Certainly at 6 a.m. Eastern Time, it’s always fast - I’m often sharing the system with a handful of non-USA users only. That also fits with Paul’s post at 8:07 this morning - very few on at that time. Probably fair to say that as our user base has grown, we’ve hit a sort of “critical mass”, and we’re feeling it.

Of course, I have the advantage of having spoken with Steve, so I know that I’m on the right track with this… I also know some of the things he’s considering to solve the problem – I’m sure he’ll publish those when they’re ready.

Mike.

Jim: You deserve a prize for being the first to figure out where our server is located! How did you know it was in Kuala Lampur? [;)]. We’ll double your money if you can tell us what part of town.

Seriously though, this seems to be an ongoing problem and we are taking it seriously. We have our highly experienced and well trained team of cyber sleuths (OK, it’s Steve, but I’ll stack him up against anyone else’s crack team) on the job.

As Steve mentioned, he has a few ideas and with a little more investigative work and implementation of some corrective measures, we expect to be back to our old form in a week or so. Thanks to all for bearing with us.

Marty