Flap mechanical failure

I almost flew a SR20 (N137CD) again today,

but the flaps failed (sounded like a backfiring engine acording to the pilot) on landing. There was a lot of noise while trying to reselect them, and eventualy they went to 100%, not willing to return again. It must be a mechanical failure. Altough this was a disappointment, the crowd around the plain on EHLE was trying to get a glimp on the plane and some serious buyers reactions…

I hope to give you all the clue what happened in the near future.

Jaap

Jaap,

Who flew the plane? Be interested to chat to him and learn what happened. My tailnumber (N144CD) is sufficient close to N137CD to turn my head…

You can mail me in Dutch. N144CD will be based on EHLE from October, on LFPX for now.

Groeten

Han Klinkspoor

but the flaps failed (sounded like a backfiring engine acording to the pilot) on landing. There was a lot of noise while trying to reselect them, and eventualy they went to 100%, not willing to return again. It must be a mechanical failure. Altough this was a disappointment, the crowd around the plain on EHLE was trying to get a glimp on the plane and some serious buyers reactions…

Jaap

I’m sorry Jaap it wasn’t a mechanical failure but only an electrical relais that rufused to work any longer. The change of the relais had solved the problem within 5 minutes. The same evening I have flown the plane back to her homebase at Eelde airport without any problem.

Jaap

Hallo Han
Ik ben zo vrij om te reageren op jouw vraag aan Jaap wie de piloot was. De piloot was op dat moment Kees Dingler. Bij het uizetten van de flaps naar 100% op final was een luide knal hoorbaar. Naar achteraf bleek werd die veroozaakt door het doorschieten van de aandrijfstang van de flaps tegen zijn eindpunt. Oorzaak was een defect electrisch relais dat de motor dient te stoppen bij full flaps. Een monteur van de importeur had al eerder met het zelfde probleem te kampen gehad en had het probleem in minder dan 5 minuten verholpen.
Daarna heb ikzelf, samen met Wim Middendorp de kist naar Eelde gevlogen zonder enig probleem.

De kist was overigens op Lelystad omdat Kees Dingler en ondergetekende zich momenteel op de SR 20 laten uitchecken. Samen hebben wij drie SR20’s besteld met lever# 469-470 en 471, levering oktober 2001. Homebase EHLE.

Als je met jouw kist op Lelystad komt zou ik het leuk vinden een mailtje van je te ontvangen.

Many Happy landings

Jan Stevens.

Jaap,

Who flew the plane? Be interested to chat to him and learn what happened. My tailnumber (N144CD) is sufficient close to N137CD to turn my head…

You can mail me in Dutch. N144CD will be based on EHLE from October, on LFPX for now.

Groeten

Han Klinkspoor

Jaap

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the consolation post (although in Dutch, but The Netherlands must rank #2 after the US in SR20/capita and we’re expecting the POH in Dutch soon…). For our WW friends: No big deal. A relay blew, it was fixed in 5 minutes and the plane flew safely back to its homebase.

Cheers

Han K (N144CD)

Hallo Han
Ik ben zo vrij om te reageren op jouw vraag aan Jaap wie de piloot was. De piloot was op dat moment Kees Dingler. Bij het uizetten van de flaps naar 100% op final was een luide knal hoorbaar. Naar achteraf bleek werd die veroozaakt door het doorschieten van de aandrijfstang van de flaps tegen zijn eindpunt. Oorzaak was een defect electrisch relais dat de motor dient te stoppen bij full flaps. Een monteur van de importeur had al eerder met het zelfde probleem te kampen gehad en had het probleem in minder dan 5 minuten verholpen.
Daarna heb ikzelf, samen met Wim Middendorp de kist naar Eelde gevlogen zonder enig probleem.

De kist was overigens op Lelystad omdat Kees Dingler en ondergetekende zich momenteel op de SR 20 laten uitchecken. Samen hebben wij drie SR20’s besteld met lever# 469-470 en 471, levering oktober 2001. Homebase EHLE.

Als je met jouw kist op Lelystad komt zou ik het leuk vinden een mailtje van je te ontvangen.

Many Happy landings

Jan Stevens.

Jaap,

Groeten

Han Klinkspoor

Jaap

but The Netherlands must rank #2 after the US in SR20/capita

In absolute numbers, the US is #1 and Holland #2. But surely in per capita terms you Dutch must be #1, right?

There are roughly 17 U.S. citizens for every citizen of the Netherlands. The Peter Bakema site shows 7 SR20s in Holland. So, if life were fair, we Yanks would now have 119 of them here on our shores. We have barely one third that many, allowing for the ones that have leaked out to Australia, England, etc.

Simon Schama’s book “The Embarrassment of Riches” was about Holland’s great trading empire. I think he is planning a new edition, about the Dutch monopoly of SR20s.
[This is all meant jocularly, despite the “strong defense” / “punish rogue nations” rhetoric coming out of the Republican convention. We will define Holland as a rogue nation when it takes the lead in absolute numbers of SR20s.]

Hey Jim,

Good to hear from you! Moved to the Bay area? Where are you flying out from now?

Yes, I agree, the # of Cirri in The Netherlands IS embarassing, the US should sue us for look and feel…

Since you’re in the stats: Another interesting number would be the ratio SR20/square kilometer or /airfield, as that would be an indicator of the likelihood of seeing another one…

CU and good luck with dog and pony shows (or elephant and mule?)

Han

but The Netherlands must rank #2 after the US in SR20/capita

In absolute numbers, the US is #1 and Holland #2. But surely in per capita terms you Dutch must be #1, right?

There are roughly 17 U.S. citizens for every citizen of the Netherlands. The Peter Bakema site shows 7 SR20s in Holland. So, if life were fair, we Yanks would now have 119 of them here on our shores. We have barely one third that many, allowing for the ones that have leaked out to Australia, England, etc.

Simon Schama’s book “The Embarrassment of Riches” was about Holland’s great trading empire. I think he is planning a new edition, about the Dutch monopoly of SR20s.
[This is all meant jocularly, despite the “strong defense” / “punish rogue nations” rhetoric coming out of the Republican convention. We will define Holland as a rogue nation when it takes the lead in absolute numbers of SR20s.]