Recommended Headsets?

I expect to take delivery of an SR20 the first week in Oct. 02. I previously owned a TB10 and a Seneca II. However, I haven’t flown actively for almost ten years, so I need some updated advice on headsets and what folks suggest. I will be buying two, and obviously I want to balance benefits against costs. If someone knows of a recent article on same I would appreciate that info as well.

As they were recomended by several members on this board, I purchased a set of Bose headsets. By far the best investment I have ever made in headsets. My wife adores them, as do I.

I am currently flying a noisy C 210 until my 22 comes in. As good as they are in that envrionment, I know they will be great in your 20, which I think is quieter and smoother than the 22.

Have fun in the 20!!!

Mark

John,

You can’t go wrong with the Bose headsets. I’ve used them and think they’re great.

If price is an object, however, I’d recommend the Lightspeed headets. My wife and I use the http://www.anrheadsets.com/products20xl.htmlLightspeed 20XL and find that we have zero “auditory fatigue” and zero head clamping even after a four-hour flight. The street price is under $400, or a bit less than half that of the Bose.

Cheers,
Roger

I contacted Lightspeed and they sent me two of their headsets (25XL and QFR Crosscountry) plus a Bose X and a Telex to try. You return them after a week. I don’t know if the offer is still going on. I ordered a Denali and a pair of DRE 6000 from Hart Aviation on a trial. I flew and compared as did my wife. In the end we returned everything and then purchased a pair of Bose X and a pair of Lightspeed GFR Crosscountry headsets from Hart. I tried hard to dislike the Bose due to the cost. DRE 6000 are considered a Best Buy by Aviation COnsumer. However, I fell in love with the Bose. My wife prefers the QFRs because they have large earcups. She wears earrings and doesn’t have to take them off with the QFRs/ Also the QFRs will fit very small heads including most children. The Bose are spring tensioned (not spring steel) so they fit better on people with big heads like myself. I am told most pilots have big heads hence the popularity of the Bose X headsets.

I have a pair of Lightspeeds and lately a new Bose X. I used the Lightspeeds for a long time, loved them and for years recommended them. Still do, for the price they cannot be beat (my opinion).

BUT, my wife gave me a new Bose X for a anniversary gift. A friend told her they were the best and she wants me to have the best (good woman!). I have to say, I like them better. Good thing as I would have a hard time returning them :wink: but really I was surprised that I would like them so much more. They are lighter, I find them more comfortable, Clamping forces are very low, I think the audio is better and the ANR more effective. The Bose are great, but its tough to justify the price delta, especially the more units you need to purchase.

So, my advice. All people have a different perception of comfortable. Do not buy a headset without trying it. Bose will do a 30 day no questions asked refund if your not liking them for any reason. They all have some program like that, take advantage of that and then you decide. Good luck.

Roger
N706CD

I also have the Bose X headsets, and they are just great. They are the lightest headset by a good margin, and that was a big factor for me.

My skull is slowly coming back to a more normal shape after being crushed by my old David Clarks for 25 years! This is how my wife describes the old David Clark headset:

Dear John,
I’m been in your position few month ago.
I decided for Lightspeed 25XL because of few articles collected on-line and their very good balance performance/cost.
Yea! This is my “stupid” habits… Meanwhile I have all my drawers fully of expensive things that I bought belowe “urgent needs to buy” spending few hundreds dollar" and maybe using these only few time so… save some money on these things and buy what you think you’ll will use more, with more satisfaction.
Always I collected really good advice on Bose X but, I refuse to buy it because of the double price respect LS XL25.
LS looks heavy but wearing it i found they are really comfortable and working very well (especially for money paid).
All other post are correct for me. The choice is your!

Cheers

I see lots of (relevant) discussion here of the listening part of the headset. However, before committing you should carefully check out the talking part as well. I recently picked up one of the cheap non-ANR Lightspeeds, which have gotten rave reviews, to give it a try. The earphones are great, as advertised, but the noise rejection of the microphone sucks. Also, the cabling is pretty flimsy, but what do you expect for the price?

–Frank

John, this has been discussed many times on the site. check the Archives.
The comfort of a headset is a very personal thing and I urge you and your wife to try a few before committing.
I too use the Bose and find them wonderful. My wife also finds the Bose to be the most comfortable headset she has worn. I have a Lightspeed as well and I find it comfortable but she doesn’t. The point is that these observations are personal and you need to try the headset yourselves. You will get good noise reduction with Bose, Lightspeed, Telex, David Clark etc (get the ANR versions). What really matters is comfort.

Let me second (or third, fourth?) that recommendation. Get what feels good to you. For instance, I can tell a slight difference in noise reduction between the Bose-X and the Lightspeed 25XL, but I HATE the way the Bose fits on my noggin, so I use the Lightspeeds. My daughter thinks the FlightCom Denali ANR is the best, and my son (age 7) thinks his AvComm AC-250 junior headset is the best (even though its strictly passive, not ANR - psst! I think the fact that they are BRIGHT RED is his primary consideration![:)])

My skull is also recovering from DC’s H10-13X (ANR).

I now use Sennheiser HMEC 300’s which have, next to excellent ANR, good passive quality.

The Bose X is good in ANR and excellent in weight / comfort.

But when the battery runs out after about 10 hours, they are useless.

The Lightspeeds are also good, but the XL plastic connector might break if you’re not carefull.

So when I get the '20 I buy the Bose with the airplane plug and use the Sennheisers in the backseats.

just my 0,02 euro cents

Jaap

For those of you that do want a panel mount for their SRXX, but find the Bose X too expensive, I’ve just read that there is also a Sennheiser HMEC version that will use the Bose connector and sells for $ 559,- (with excellent noise canceling mike)

• SENNHEISER HMEC-306 “ANR” with Redel (BOSE Type) Panel Power Connector Jack.
    (For use with installations where interchangibility with BOSE Headsets is required.)

Jaap

There is a better battery option now thanks to Mike Radomski. His battery eliminator is a excellent solution. Buy the battery version of the Bose (this lets them be portable), then add his battery eliminator and install it. Then it uses ships power from the otherwise useless connector in the console next to where you plug the headset in. No paperwork needed.

I suspect in the future Cirrus may put the Bose connector in the airplane (guessing) and that would be great, but for the rest of us this is cheap, effective and frankly better since it keeps your portable headset portable.

The end result is a ship powered headset that turns off and one with your master and no batteries. And you do not have to go to the avionics shop to have the Bose dedicated plug installed or buy lots of 9Volt batteries. I love and highly recommend this cool product.

Search the forum for more information, there are lots of posts on this.

Roger
N706CD

Has anyone tested or been using Sennheiser’s HMEC 25 and HMEC 45 ANR head sets. i was very much impressed with them at Oshkosh, they are extremely comfortable, light weight 6 oz only. Found one of the best microphone setup here as well. I am really surprised that no one commented on these fine units before. They have the Bose type connectors. Please, give your feedback.

JT

In reply to:

However, before committing you should carefully check out the talking part as well. I recently picked up one of the cheap non-ANR Lightspeeds, which have gotten rave reviews, to give it a try. The earphones are great, as advertised, but the noise rejection of the microphone sucks.

Actually, I find the microphone on even the more expensive Lightspeeds to be somewhat lacking. I personally like the old standby David Clarks (modernized a bit with the ENC/ANR version, of course).

I think the key, as others have said, is that you really do need to try them on yourself. I bought the Lightspeeds sight-unseen based on all the rave reviews and later regretted it. I ended up buying the DC 10-13X after trying out Brian Turrisi’s set for a flight.

Steve

I think the microphone on the David Clark’s are much better than several of the other units, including the Lightspeeds. With the new gelfoam earseals and the adjustable fit, I have been using them for a year now and have no problem with the “visegrip” problem mentioned by others. In addition, I have yet to see a headset more ruggegly constructed, including the Bose, than the David Clarks.
Brian

Steve, that’s interesting. I used a Lightspeed for a while before I went to Bose. With the Lightspeed I would get at least occasional "say again"s but that hasn’t happened in over a year with the Bose.
Your main point is very well taken. Never buy a headset without trying it out first or at least buy it with a 30 day return money back guarantee.

In reply to:

I suspect in the future Cirrus may put the Bose connector in the airplane (guessing) and that would be great, but for the rest of us this is cheap, effective and frankly better since it keeps your portable headset portable.

You guessed correctly! New Cirruses have the “Bose” style jack installed, or will very shortly now. I think this was announced at Oshkosh of this year.

Steve

In reply to:

I love and highly recommend this cool product.

So this product actually exists? You actually have one of these rare devices? :wink: