Eclipse

Eclipse certainly made a big splash at Osh. 2003 deliveries seem a very long way off, but if it is built it may be worth the wait. Do any of the current Cirrus position holders or customers also hold a position for the Eclipse? Feel free to email me.

I hosted a dinner for Vern Raburn and 50 Silicon Valley execs last week. What a bold thing Vern’s trying to pull off — a six-seat jet for $800K. My bet is on him, even if the Eclipse 500 price drifts to $1.2M or $1.5M. Vern is adamant it’ll stay under $1M.

Eclipse plans to add more jets upmarket . . . which leaves space for Cirrus and Lancair to fill the new 21st century GA gap between the SR20 and the Eclipse 500 . . . the sweet spot between $200K and $800K.

One thing Eclipse is doing that tops even Cirrus or Lancair is that it’s betting the whole ballgame on a new powerplant . . . the 85-pound turbofan from Williams. I hope Cirrus takes a c lue from this . . . and takes more chances in the future on bold new powerplants, too. Alas, some early Cirrus (and model year 1999 and 2000 Bonanza) owners have experienced the kind of problems that arise from relying on older piston TCM technology.

Personally, I’d like to see Cirrus build a six-seat 270 ktas turboprop and sell it for $500K. If anybody can do it, Cirrus can. Or Lancair.

Eclipse, Cirrus and Lancair are the ones to watch, no doubt!

Eclipse certainly made a big splash at Osh. 2003 deliveries seem a very long way off, but if it is built it may be worth the wait. Do any of the current Cirrus position holders or customers also hold a position for the Eclipse? Feel free to email me.