CPI again

I’m just curious again about this CPI issue - I know it was discussed last month so I’m not repeating last month’s discussion. I just received my Actual Delivery package and saw the CPI amount and nearly (*&@#$ - I was expecting around $10k and it’s $14k. I have an SR20 C with Avidyne, Stormscope, Sandel and more.

So my question is: what CPI amounts are the latest batch of deliveries seeing? The percentage was 6.889 for the period 6/99 to 5/01.

In reply to:

So my question is: what CPI amounts are the latest batch of deliveries seeing? The percentage was 6.889 for the period 6/99 to 5/01.

Can’t answer your specific question (what are others seeing right now). But if you go to this page and then follow the link which says “All Urban Consumers (Current Series)” (under the “Most Requested Statistics” section) then select “US, All Items, 1982-84=100”, you’ll see a table which lists CPI per month.

It shows a value of 166.2 for June 99 and 177.7 for May 01. So that would be an increase of 6.919%, which is very close to the 6.889% you mentioned. In fact, it looks like you’re getting a slightly better deal than the numbers would indicate.

(Sorry for the long web directions above. The final result looks like the output of a cgi script so I can’t just link to the final table. My understanding is that the above CPI is the one most commonly refered to when people talk about “the CPI”, but I don’t know if that’s the index that Cirrus uses for calculations. Maybe the contract mentions a specific CPI index you’d want to look at instead of the generic one I mentioned above? If not you could always ask CD directly.)

Steve

That is 3.45% annually which falls in line with averages.

Mason

I brought up this same issue about a month ago. You probably expected the CPI to be based on the contract price which is what I thought. In fact, you get charged CPI for 2 years on ALL THE OPTIONS you added. A “C” package SR20 with all the goodies will run well over $220,000. Then the CPI is added on most of that amount; not the $179,400 contract price.
Brian

All

Is the $ 15.000,= you pay up front deducted from the amount over which CPI is payed ?

Thanks,

Jaap

Can’t answer your specific question (what are others seeing right now). But if you go to this page and then follow the link which says “All Urban Consumers (Current Series)” (under the “Most Requested Statistics” section) then select “US, All Items, 1982-84=100”, you’ll see a table which lists CPI per month<<<

Actually, the contract states they use the “CPI–All urban Consumers 1967=100” which is also listed on Steve’s link

Why is CPI charged on the Stormscope, Leather, 3-blade prop when the price for these options is still the same as it was in 1999?

And why do we have to pay a CPI adjustment for Avidyne and Sandel for 2 years when they have only been available a few months and were priced in 2002 dollars to start with?

You both raise good points. I know it was discussed last month. I agree on the options being a little abusive- especially when their prices haven’t changed in years.

I knew it was on the total amount, it just floored me to see the numbers. I was expecting $10k but I realize now that would have been only on the base price.

These are the same questions I raised last month. It seems odd that we pay CPI on items that do not change in price. I am not sure all the new items DO have CPI added but Cirrus does not tell us what is and is not included and therein lies my rub.
When I read my contract I thought the CPI was added to the original contract price. Since option prices have not gone up, a new contract owner with a shorter wait time actually gets a discount compared to us who waited the FULL 2 years for the CPI clock to stop. Cirrus should explain this point in clearer terms at the time of contract signing.
Brian

No it is not. It gets worse than that. If you were waiting 3 years for a Cirrus with CPI accumulating all that time and a new option came on the scene, Cirrus would charge you CPI on that option for the entire length of the contract.
This is one area where Cirrus is taking a bit of advantage of us. This will all become history as the wait for planes dwindles in the next year.

While it is true you get hosed on newly offered options, it is not true that the deposit is subjected to CPI. At least it was not for me.

My subtotal before CPI was 244,430 and the CPI was calculated on a basis of 229,430.

That has been my experience also. The original deposit of $15000 is deducted before the CPI.
Raj.

If you dont mind, could you tell me how much you paid for the CPI. If you prefer you can email me w/ your answer.

Thank You,
Mario
SR20.2 due 1/03