COPA Members' reaction to recent SR2X accidents

Thanks to everyone for the comments, especially Roger. As it happens, I fly out of Santa Barbara. I would love to have a chance to get a good look at your plane sometime. Meanwhile I will continue to follow the discussion here. Thanks again -

Hal

With Scott’s permission maybe we should post just one of his weather tutorials on the Public Forum. Even one of those beauties is worth the $50 admission fee, and they would get the rest for FREE!!!

Jim

Hey thanks, Jim. [:$] At least somebody is paying attention! [;)]

Hi Hal,

Small world! Drop me an e-mail at airboy@physics.ucsb.edu and we’ll get you an SR20 ride sometime after this week. (At the moment N720DG is at http://www.airnav.com/airport/SBA/STRATMANStratman getting its annual.) There are a couple of SR22s based at SBA, with more on the way, so Santa Barbara is turning into quite a hotbed of Cirrus activity.

Cheers
Roger

You do not appear to be a COPA member, so how do you know what is being said on the members’ side of the forums? Over the past week there have been roughly 20 member posts for every non-member post. The real debates and the good information are on the members’ forum.

I am not a copa member. I think that I tend to agree with Birge about the general negative view on this forum for any plane other than Cirri. I own a “plain old”, “spam can” ,“tin can”, “ancient technology”, “low tech” ,etc.,etc. cessna. I demo flew the sr20 and am lucky enough to have been able to afford a cirri had I chosen. I chose otherwise and have been content with my purchase inspite of the considerable difference in these different plane designs.

It ain’t the $50 bucks that keeps me from wanting to read the copa members section. I am sure that there is a wealth of experience that cirri drivers have than can be shared with other pilots. However, that nugget of knowledge is a small drop relative to all the other pilot experience out there.

This forum does itself a disservice by tenor of its own hallelujah choir.

You do not appear to be a COPA member, so how do you know what is being said on the members’ side of the forums? Over the past week there have been roughly 20 member posts for every non-member post. The real debates and the good information are on the members’ forum.

I don’t know what’s going on now, but in the past (when I brought up the separate issues of spin certification and the safetly record) it was fairly apparent that my opinions were largely unappreciated by COPA members and that such discussions weren’t really wanted. I can’t imagine the debate was any more intellectually honest on the members forum, if there actually was any.

I personnaly don’t think there’s not enough honest acknowledgement of safety problems in any element of GA, let alone this forum, so I’m not picking on COPA alone. I just think the best way to promote such debate is to allow for the opinions of those who aren’t directly vested in the Cirrus. It’s hard to be objective about an aircraft when you just paid $300k for it and regular fly your family in it.

-Jonathan

You have got to be kidding
Steve

In reply to:

don’t know what’s going on now, but in the past … it was fairly apparent that my opinions were largely unappreciated by COPA members and that such discussions weren’t really wanted. I can’t imagine the debate was any more intellectually honest on the members forum, if there actually was any.

What do you guys expect? Most people on the site have purchased or are purchasing a Cirrus. They really like the plane or they would not have plunked $200,000 + to buy one. Do you really want a totally impartial conversation? I suppose if I went on the ABA website and posted negative remarks about attorneys or the AMA web site and posted negative remarks about doctors, I would get very cool receptions. (Of course, if I posted negative remarks about lawyers on the AMA site, i may get a free membership. [;)])

However, one man’s defensiveness is just another man’s conviction. Typically when some “troll” engages in flame throwing, the response is fairly swift and severe. Likewise when some opinions are voiced that are totally unsupported by anything other than conjecture, intention to get a reaction, or just plain spitefulness, the users of the Forums tend to gang up.

Overall, I would say the conversations are very polite and relatively professional. If you believe otherwise, thanks to COPA’s generous policies, you are still welcome to post your opinions or just not log on.

Marty

In reply to:

It’s hard to be objective about an aircraft when you just paid $300k for it and regular fly your family in it.

On the contrary, Jonathan, it is because these expensive machines carry a payload which cannot be valued, that COPA members scrutinize their plane+pilot capabilities so often and so thoroughly.

I understand that this is hard to grasp without following the members’ forum.