Considering Cirrus Ownership

I am a post solo student pilot with 15 hours thus far. I am currently training an a diamond da20-c1. I am planning regional personal travel and possibly some business travel as I am a physician. I was thinking about sole ownership in a cirrus aircraft and wanted to get the thoughts of current owners. I want to be able to have the business tax deduction and have an opportunity to work sporadic weekends in a town 70-80 miles from my current office. Any thoughts ?

Thomas,

Welcome to COPA!

Start here until folks come along with their individual inputs.

Thomas, you’ll love it. I sent you a PM with my contact info. I was in basically the same situation as you and would be glad to chat. Marc

Thomas,

I’m on my second Cirrus. First an SR20 and now a SR22 Turbo. I fly from my office in North Carolina pretty much anywhere east of the Mississippi. Occasionally, we’ve gone a lot further. Use the plane almost weekly for business.

For 80 mile hops, a SR20 is perfect. Do you anticipate going further? If so, how often? Will you be carrying passengers? Also, do you plan on getting your instrument rating? Probably a lot to think about post-solo, but important to consider when purchasing.

Welcome to COPA,

Ged

Ged thanks for the reply. I do anticipate going further and traveling to Wyoming about 600 NM away frequently in the summer / spring months. Yes I was planning on instrument rating directly following my private certificate.Occasionally I would take passengers during these trips.

Thomas, you might gain some advice by reading the stories of newbie Cirrus pilots, some of whom have done exactly what you are doing. See this thread: Stories from Newbie Cirrus Pilots

Cheers
Rick

FYI, The Flight Academy offers a combined course for new Cirrus pilots that results in learning to fly realistic travel scenarios as an instrument pilot from day one. Their Cirrus-specific knowledge and appreciation for how Cirrus pilots fly gives this approach some great results.

Hopefully, there are other training programs with similar capabilities. I have no connection with TFA, except that several of their instructors teach regularly at CPPP events that I organize.

Cheers
Rick