Considering a Cirrus

A friend of mine (Dentist) and I (bank CEO) are considering forming a partnership to purchase a Cirrus.

He owns a '82 Archer with dual Gamnins (540/430) GTX 330 Transponder, 340 Audio Panel TIS, has about 200 hours and is about to start his IFR training.

I own a '78 Cessna 182, Garmin 430 WAAS, S-TEC Auto pilot with roll steering, 340 Audio Panel, TIS, have about 650 hours and IFR rating. I am very proficient flying IFR, including LPV approaches and log a good bit of actual time.

My main concern is the usable load. I am about 6’3" and hit about 275 lbs. He is a lean and athletic trim 165 lbs. He has a spouse and two kiddos - about 9 and 6 y/o.

I am an “empty nester” whose wife will NEVER fly in a small plane - and hates flying in big ones. Thus, I fly with friends and I use my plane to visit our bank branches around Texas. I like to take staff with me.

The sun here is brutal from April through September.

It strikes me that at best a Cirrus is a three-adult plane.

Full glass panels don’t impress either one of us.

He wants more speed, but I like the carrying capacity of my “Suburban in the sky.”

In order to buy one Cirrus (used) we are probably going to have to sell or trade in both of our planes and still add a good bit of cash to the deal.

Any advice about how to begin the process, advice about reputable dealers, what questions to ask others - and ourselves will be much appreciated.

We live very close to Houston, Texas.

Regards -

Useful load is about 1050-1100, and you can put in 81 gal 100ll. F ull tanks leaves you and one ther Texas sized guy, and you can fly about 950 nm. 1/2 gives you another Texas sized guy in the back seat, where he’ll be very comfortable, and a 450 nm range.
2002 SR 22’s with steam guages are in the low $200s, and are GREAT IFR planes. Glass panels are pretty nice too, but it sounds like your minds are made up on that score, and the price does go up. 180 knots is for real, and flight planning at 170 leaned will require about 12-13 gph at 10,000. Wing loading- there’s no comparison- 22s fly alot more stably in turbulence than 182s.
You’ll never look back.

You sound like you and your partner have different needs in plane. The most happy owner is the person who buys the plane that best fits the mission they want to fly. Otherwise you will compromise too much.
You said you do not need speed or glass panels and are worried about load capacity.
With those 3 criteria the Cirrus is likely not for you. there are much better choices that carry more weight and go slower (Piper Saratoga for one).
Good luck!

Another factor to consider is that the Cirrus fleet is just coming into its own - re: 430 WAAS. My guesstamet is you can add $6-10 aviation units to your purchase to have it upgraded. Again, it depends on glass/non-glass, weather/non-weather on the MFD, etc.

Lots of decisions here. It may have been said already, but without sounding like a cheerleader, joining COPA will save you way more money than it costs. You won’t be disappointed in what you can get out of joining. Just for safety of life, COPA members seem to be statistically safer flying our planes than non-COPA members.

Again, best of luck in your decision making.

I have had three, I can tell you they are WAAAAYYYY more comfortable than either of those planes. Your size will really appreciate the room up front. I am a dentist like your buddy, but was closer to you in size. My wife also hates commercial, but she like the Cirrus, even though she said she never would. Grabs her pillow and sleeps in the front or back, depending on the kids.

In reply to:

My main concern is the usable load.

I like to take staff with me.

The sun here is brutal from April through September.

It strikes me that at best a Cirrus is a three-adult plane.

Full glass panels don’t impress either one of us.

He wants more speed, but I like the carrying capacity of my “Suburban in the sky.”

Why not a 210? Speedier, great carrying capacity for business or family use. High wing for shade.

Have the factory rep come give you a demo in a new model. You probably won’t buy a new one but at least you will see everything Cirrus has to offer. Given your criterion you will own a Cirrus. The back seat is akin to riding in a fine luxury car. In TX I would recommend an air conditioner. Older models were sometimes fitted with a Keith unit which is reported to work better than factory air; although the factory air works OK. The Cirrus has a lot of window area and the cockpit will get very hot in summer. You give us some useful load but your comfort level will go up dramatically. Take it from a guy who lives just north of you!

In reply to:

Useful load is about 1050-1100, and you can put in 81 gal 100ll. F ull tanks leaves you and one ther Texas sized guy, and you can fly about 950 nm. 1/2 gives you another Texas sized guy in the back seat, where he’ll be very comfortable, and a 450 nm range.
2002 SR 22’s with steam guages are in the low $200s, and are GREAT IFR planes. Glass panels are pretty nice too, but it sounds like your minds are made up on that score, and the price does go up. 180 knots is for real, and flight planning at 170 leaned will require about 12-13 gph at 10,000. Wing loading- there’s no comparison- 22s fly alot more stably in turbulence than 182s.
You’ll never look back.

My 2001 SR22 has 1159 useful. Some of the early ones were lighter, less options is the main reason. However that weight is after I added Traffic and a few other items that pulled it down from 1181 when it was new. With some fuel offset a early one might meet your needs.

The early ones did not have a PFD, but had a very reliable totally electric panel with dual 430’s and a Sandel. They can do everything a PFD plane can do and are excellent IFR platforms. Fly one, you will like it. Good luck.

In reply to:

My 2001 SR22 has 1159 useful. Some of the early ones were lighter, less options is the main reason. However that weight is after I added Traffic and a few other items that pulled it down from 1181 when it was new. With some fuel offset a early one might meet your needs.
The early ones did not have a PFD, but had a very reliable totally electric panel with dual 430’s and a Sandel. They can do everything a PFD plane can do and are excellent IFR platforms. Fly one, you will like it. Good luck.

Mr Speed

I know the tight end for the New England Patriots is around 6" 8" and probably around 270. He flys a SR22. I have an early model G-2 without TKS(empty weight 2267) At the tabs, 46 gallons I can still carry 857 lbs. So you could still carry around 3 194 lb passengers if you wanted.

Also, I am seeing around 179-183 knots at 14.5 gallons per hour. I would check around for a light G-2 where you would have more flexibility in your missions…good luck

Gary

I just signed on the line today for my G3 GTS today so I will give you my take. I have a 99 Archer with all the electronics (430Ws, Stec 55x, GMX200, GLD 69 etc) and love it, but it’s too small and to slow and can only carry 760# (has a/c). So I spent the last 4mo trying to figure out what to buy. Wanted >180 cruise, true 4 pass and A/C…botom line is this plane has not existed since about 1985 and I didn’t want someone elses ancient piece of junk.

All the new planes (Saratoga IITC, Malibu, 206, 182, G36, SR22) have usefull loads of 1100# +/- about 75#. Most hold about 100 gal fuel so your full fuel payload is about 500# with ALL OF THEM!!! Add A/C, TKS, traffic (100-150#) and you have a 1.5 pass plane!! New planes with quiet leather interiors, fancy buttons, and A/C are just fat!

The SR22 is faster/cheaper than the 'Toga IITC or G36 and will carry 4 if you let some gas out. These days the fuel mgt systems “should” be good enough to fly with less fuel and be safe. I didn’t need 6 seats and the wife liked the 'chute and a Malibu is too much plane for me now so…it’s a SR 22G3GTS for me.

The only other option would be to consider a Piper 6X (or XT if you can find one) as it’s basically a fixed gear 'Toga with a UL of 1393#, but 135-155 nmph cruise. Add all the stuff and you should have a full fuel payload of 600# and 900# with 1/2 tanks.

Kevin

950 lb useful load on our G3 Turbo. Full fuel and we are down to 410 lb payload. Some people at Cirrus will tell you that you can full the tanks and whatever you can fit in the doors, and she will still fly. This is all fine and dandy until you can’t climb through a downdraft on takeoff, or use more runway than you expected.