Cirrus SR22 Brake problems

Good Afternoon Everyone. My name is Tealeye Cornejo, I am an Air safety Investigator for the National Transportation Safety Board. I am looking for information on the 22 brake system and whether or not anyone has run into any problems with the brake system? My contact information is:
Ms. Tealeye Cornejo
Air Safety Investigator
National Transportation Safety Board
Southwest Regional Office
1515 W. 190th Street, Suite 555
Gardena, CA 90248
e-mail: cornejt@ntsb.gov
phone: 310-380-5659

I would appreciate any feedback you have for me. An e-mail or phone call would be great. Thank you for your time.

Tealeye

You have certainly come the the right place to ask that question! There has been a plethora of brake problems on Cirruses. To name a few of them, chafing and ruptured brake lines, leaking and blown out brake cylinder o-rings, premature wear-out of brake pads and rotors, brake overheating related fires, and brake failure induced landing crashes and rollout incidents.

Very few of these events have been reported to the FAA or NTSB because they did not meet the reporting requirements. They have not been considered “accidents” nor “reportable incidents” per section 830.2 and 830.5 because no one was “seriously” injured, brakes are not considered a flight control system by the participants here, and the damage that occurred generally was below the $25,000 threshold.

You will find that there are very few records available on this site in the public sections, but there are many reports of problems available in the members only sections and message archives. I suggest you contact one of the COPA board members (listed on the COPA web site main page) to gain access to those records.

Good luck in your investigation. It is good to know the NTSB is finally looking into these issues.

I have 520 hours on my original brake pads, and my shop says they have plenty of good service left in them. No problems. I’m easy on my brakes, and they seem to thank me for it.

In reply to:

Good Afternoon Everyone. My name is Tealeye Cornejo, I am an Air safety Investigator for the National Transportation Safety Board. I am looking for information on the 22 brake system and whether or not anyone has run into any problems with the brake system? My contact information is:
Ms. Tealeye Cornejo
Air Safety Investigator
National Transportation Safety Board
Southwest Regional Office
1515 W. 190th Street, Suite 555
Gardena, CA 90248
e-mail: cornejt@ntsb.gov
phone: 310-380-5659
I would appreciate any feedback you have for me. An e-mail or phone call would be great. Thank you for your time.
Tealeye

I have 450 hours on mine. One set of pads at an annual, otherwise no problems. I DID have the SB done for the line chafing (forget the number).

I had the brake line chafing SB done the middle of last year.

I now have 578 hours on my original brakes and the SC says they still have plenty of life.

I am very diligent about trying to taxi at a speed that does not require braking. I find this is usually possible.

In the towboat industry we call this “maintaining bare steerageway.” Keeping your speed just at the minimum speed where the rudders are effective.

800 hours, one new set of pads, chafing SB complied with. No issues.

After reading some reports of hydraulic leaks being discovered (pool of brake fluid on hangar floor, etc.) a year or more ago, I was concerned. I have never babied my brakes - I am not hard on them but neither am I particularly diligent (I’ll use them aggressively at times to make the easy taxiway turnoff instead of rolling to the end…). I’m aware that I shouldn’t drag them, but not compulsive about not using the brakes while taxiing.

So, I had my hydraulic seals pulled and inspected to look for heat damage at about 200 hours and everything was just fine. I replaced my brake pads at about 350 hours (2nd annual) with 50% or so of the pad still left.

Bottom line: I think my “brake friendly” habits are just average and I’ve seen no problems. I believe the system requires proper maintenance per the AMM, which I do.

However, the brake system seems to have failure modes, when the brakes are abused, that are particularly harsh compared to some other aircraft.

Tim Gieseler

Our 2003 SR22 was one of the first discovered with brake line chafing.

The flexible type 303 flex line was being abraded by a poorly installed gear leg fairing.

Once discovered we repositioned the wheel pant (gear leg) fairing and reattached the failed adhesive mounted attachment pad. We also installed a protective sleeve around the new brake line. However, the (now) properly positioned gear leg fairing did not fit properly to the wing fairing and the actual wheel pant. Cirrus supplied us with new fairings and the new fairings were more properly trimmed and installed by us.

As a point of interest, our SR22 was delivered with exceedingly poorly fitted wheel pants. We noted this during delivery and the Cirrus Factory Service Center made adjustments to the poorly fitted wheel pants.

However, it seems that these “adjustments” were cosmetic only.

We have also since complied with the SB.

It was/is my opinion that the demanding production/delivery schedule resulted in questionable final fitting issues (in other areas as well).

After 100 hours, I noticed brake fluid by my left main. My mechanic found a metal sliver entwined around the O-ring. This was causing a leak.

About 50% brake life was left (due to LOTS of practice landings and a tendency of my plane to turn-left during taxi) so I had the pads changed.

I have not had any problems since. 200 Hours.

Could this have prompted the question?

A brake fire on the 7th (http://www.faa.gov/avr/aai/evt20050308.htm#517SW).

(BTW, also a “crashed inside the runway threshold” on the 5th (http://www.faa.gov/avr/aai/evt20050307.htm#8061V).)

In reply to:

Could this have prompted the question?

Joe,

I would certainly assume so.

Same with me with 100 hours less total time.

In reply to:

I have 520 hours on my original brake pads, and my shop says they have plenty of good service left in them. No problems. I’m easy on my brakes, and they seem to thank me for it.

Just as another data-point, I think it was right around this time (500+) when I had my first set of pads replaced. No problems with mine, either. [:)]

Andy, I have 450 hrs on my original brakes, still plenty of pad.

Course, like you most of my missions involve longish trips.

If my 450 hrs involved short trips with lots of taxing/takeoffs and landing, I would suspect more wear.

In reply to:

After 100 hours, I noticed brake fluid by my left main. My mechanic found a metal sliver entwined around the O-ring. This was causing a leak.
About 50% brake life was left (due to LOTS of practice landings and a tendency of my plane to turn-left during taxi) so I had the pads changed.
I have not had any problems since. 200 Hours.

I use FULL right rudder when taxing, and make sure I’m going fast enough to make it worthwhile, it helps the brakes.

In reply to:

This makes good sense. I operate almost exclusively out of short strips. I change my brake pad when the first pad hits 50% of new thickness. My first brake pad change was 160hrs TT. Once pads get beyond 50% there is more leverage exerted on brake cylinder “O” ring as the cylinder is forced further out of the brake housing to compress the pads on the disk. I am pretty sure this is the cause of many Cirri “O” ring failures.

On October 21, 2012 my wife and I were on a flight from KUMP to KKNA, we stopped for fuel at KPHK, toped the plane off, started the plane up again and began to taxi the plane to runway 35 to finish our trip. The brakes felt a little tight but not very hard, it felt as if there was something wrong, I taxied back to the ramp and the ramp attendant ran up to our plane and said our wheels were on fire and to get out of the plane ASAP, we did. The line man at the airport ran around trying to find fire extinguishers, brought out a couple hand held ones, not enough, found a couple more used them too, not quite enough asked him if anyone called the fire department and at that time he did. Fire trucks did come out and finished the job but by that time there was a considerable amount of damage to both the bottom of the wing and the struts and wheels.

I owned this plane since new 2002 SR22 #0405 N6839R. I new to be careful with the brakes all the time and the service advisories were always complied with. It could have been allot worst, I had 80 gallons of fuel on board and the plane would taxi and I could have taken off. Report was filed with NTSB on Nov. 19th. Plane had to be taken apart and trailered to Tampa Executive, Leading Edge Aviation.

Norman B. Levine

normanblevine@aol.com

Yikes. Thanks for posting and sorry to hear about this incident. I am glad everyone is ok.
Can you post about your maint history with brakes? How many hours on linings and rotors? Parking brake off? When was last brake inspection?
Consider becoming a full Copa member, best money you will ever spend on your aircraft. Many wont read this on the guest side.

Jesus! Check out my videos from yesterday in regards to my brake problems. There was rotor damage due to either a design or installation fault. http://www.facebook.com/N787EF

Norman,

Its a fairly common problem. See the attached Service Advisory.

Bottom line: IF YOU RIDE THE BRAKES like an old lady going to church - they will catch fire.

See attached

8831.SA06-03.pdf (56.3 KB)

3644.SA09-09.pdf (32.8 KB)

6283.TPOH_08-06.pdf (95.3 KB)

There is more on the memberside - and no David - this is not related to your issue.