What's in a name?

Why doesn’t the SR20 have a real name?

Any suggestions?

Assuming the 20 is for 200 Horsepower what does the SR stand for?

Just wondering!

Any suggestions?

Having asked more or less these questions last summer in Duluth when preparing a story, here is part of the answer, as I recall it:

• Why no ‘real’ name? Because numbers were thought to be cooler (F-15, B-777, etc). Same is very much true with cars these days – consider Audi and BMW designations.

• SR = single engine piston plane. “SR” was thought to sound cooler than “SP,” perhaps by subconscious analogy with the air force’s SR-70. So it was back-constructed to stand for Single-engine Reciprocating (SR) rather than Single Piston (SP).

• I don’t remember if 20 = 200 HP. That would make sense but would imply SR 30 for what we know to be the SR22. I think it is meant to suggest the first entry in a “20 series,” of which the 22 would be the next step up. Don’t know if the “30 series” would be a complex craft, or a jet, or what.

Names can be tricky things. Apart from the fact that all the good ones have been used multiple times already, some of the choices just don’t make it.

If I refer to a Skyhawk, you might think of a Cessna 172, but not all 172’s were Skyhawks, and I could be talking about a Douglas A-4. A Centurion? 210 is easier to say. And what about a Commuter? That’s a 152, but I’ve never heard anyone use the name. Oh, was that an Aardvark that just blasted overhead?

I think SR20 sounds just fine. Though I suspect putting names on models is something that happens to aircraft when the marketing department reaches critical mass (happened to Mooney). It will probably happen to CD sooner or later.

Good idea. With the SR22 coming along it won’t do to just say you have a “Cirrus” (or rather an order in for one). Maybe a name contest is in order. Incidentally, I have found that when controllers ask “What type aircraft” saying “Cirrus SR20” never seems to do the job. The next thing you know is that they are calling you an experimental. But saying “a Sierra Romeo 20” always seems to do the job.

Any suggestions?

Just wondering!

When I first heard of the SR22 I wondered if it had a 220 hp turbocharged version of the IO-360-ES. I was hoping it was and that it would be an easy retrofit.

The only numerical relationship I can imagine would be if the SR22 has a never exceed speed of 220 knots.

Any suggestions?

Just wondering!

Any suggestions?

Having asked more or less these questions last summer in Duluth when preparing a story, here is part of the answer, as I recall it:

• Why no ‘real’ name? Because numbers were thought to be cooler (F-15, B-777, etc). Same is very much true with cars these days – consider Audi and BMW designations.
  • SR = single engine piston plane. “SR” was thought to sound cooler than “SP,” perhaps by subconscious analogy with the air force’s SR-70. So it was back-constructed to stand for Single-engine Reciprocating (SR) rather than Single Piston (SP).
  • I don’t remember if 20 = 200 HP. That would make sense but would imply SR 30 for what we know to be the SR22. I think it is meant to suggest the first entry in a “20 series,” of which the 22 would be the next step up. Don’t know if the “30 series” would be a complex craft, or a jet, or what.

There’s already an SP20 (the Micco reissue). I believe that the “R” is supposed to stand for “reciprocating” which is a much more fun word anyhow (particularly for a writer).

Any suggestions?

Boeing starts each model off with a 200 suffix, i.e. 777-200. I guess this leaves room for a step down model (777-100) as well as the step up models (737-300, 400, 500, 600, 700, & 800) i.e. longer range, higher useful load, increase in passenger capacity, and/or avionic suite upgrades.

I’ll bet the next controller thinks you’re a Beech! :wink:

The next thing you know is that they are calling you an experimental. But saying “a Sierra Romeo 20” always seems to do the job.