Cirrus Crash Netherlands

Vliegtuig crasht bij vliegveld Teuge
15 AUGUSTUS 2003 - Een eenmotorig vliegtuig is vanmiddag bij een landingspoging op vliegveld Teuge neergestort. Het toestel, een Cirrus met twee vrouwen aan boord, kwam na een uitwijkmanoeuvre in een maïsveld terecht. Beide inzittenden raakten gewond. De pilote is per traumahelikopter naar een ziekenhuis in Zwolle vervoerd. De passagiere is per ambulance overgebracht naar het Deventer Ziekenhuis. Volgens getuigen verkeerde de passagier in shock en had de pilote een diepe hoofdwond. Het toestel en de bemanning komen volgens de directeur van het vliegveld uit Groningen.

De Raad voor Transportveiligheid, Luchtvaartpolitie en Inspectie Verkeer en Waterstaat onderzoeken de toedracht van het ongeval. Het rapport zal naar verwachting nog enige tijd op zich laten wachten.

http://www.geldersdagblad.nl/regioportal/GDZ/0,2622,1974-Voorpagina__1729768_,00.html#_

(Foto ANP)

Het vliegtuig was bezig met een zogenaamde ‘doellanding’. Hierbij wordt geprobeerd een toestel zo nauwkeurig mogelijk op een bepaald vlak van de landingsbaan te laten landen. Tegelijkertijd was een politiehelikopter bezig ook te landen. De helikopter komt regelmatig op Teuge om te tanken en was bezig met een reguliere vlucht.

Volgens ooggetuigen week het vliegtuig uit om een botsing met de helikopter te vermijden. De piloot gaf gas en maakte op lage hoogte een scherpe bocht naar links. Hierbij raakte het toestel overtrokken en dook het vrijwel recht naar beneden het maïsveld in.

Ooggetuigen gingen snel naar het wrak toe om eerste hulp te verlenen aan de twee slachtoffers. De hulpverlening kwam snel op gang.

De bemanning nam deel aan de International Ladies Cup, een navigatiewedstrijd voor vrouwelijke vliegers die dit weekeinde vanaf vliegveld Teuge wordt gehouden. Het programma voor vandaag werd na het ongeluk afgelast. Of het evenement morgen doorgaat is nog onduidelijk.

Airplane crasht by airport Gulp 15 AUGUST 2003 - An eenmotorig airplane is by a landings attempt on airport this afternoon Gulp neergestort. The apparatus, a Cirrus with two women on board, came after an uitwijkmanoeuvre in a corn field correct. Both occupants hit lived. The pilot is per trauma helicopter to a hospital in Zwolle transported. The passenger is per ambulance overgebracht to the Deventer Hospital. According to witnesses been the passenger in shock and had the pilot a deep head wound. The apparatus and the crew come according to the manager of the airport from Groningen.

The Council for transport safety, air speed police and Inspection Am and Public works examine the facts of the case of the accident. The report will to expectation yet only time on self let wait.
tp://www.geldersdagblad.nl/regioportal/GDZ/0,2622,1974-Voorpagina__1729768_,00.html#_

(Photograph ANP)

The airplane was busy with a so-called ‘target landing’. Hereby becomes try an apparatus so precisely possible on a particular area of the landings job to let land. At the same time was a police helicopter busy also to land. The helicopter comes regularly on Gulp in order to buy gasoline and was busy with a reguliere flee.

According to eyewitnesses soak the airplane from round a collision with the helicopter to avoid. The pilot gave gas and made on low height a sharp curve to links. Hereby hit the apparatus covered and dove it nearly straight to under the corn field in.

Eyewitnesses went fast to the wreck closed round first help to grant at the two victims. The aid came fast on course.

The crew took part at the International Ladies Cup, a navigatiewedstrijd for feminine kites that these weekend from airport Gulp becomes hold. The program for today became after the misfortune afgelast. Or the event tomorrow continues is yet unclear.

Jaap,
I can guess 50% of the article, because German is close to Dutch, but
it would be grate if you could translate the article into English.

Achim

Thanks for the translation: I intended to translate, but my finger was to fast in submitting it.

Airplane crashed by airport Teuge 15 AUGUST 2003 -
-An single engine airplane has crashed by a landings attempt on airport of Teuge. The plane, a Cirrus with two women on board, crashed in an avoiding attempt into a corn field. Both pilots where severely wounded.

The pilot is transported by trauma helicopter to a hospital in Zwolle. The passenger is per ambulance transported to the Deventer Hospital. According to witnesses the co-pilot is in severe shock and the pilot had a deep head wound. The plane and the crew came ,according to the manager of the airport , from Groningen.

The Council for transport safety, aviation police and Inspection of traffic and Public works examine the facts of the accident. It will take considerable time before the final report will be released.

The airplane was practising a so-called ‘target landing’. With the objective to land the plane in a precise defined area. At the same time also a police helicopter intended to land. The helicopter visitÂ’s regularly Teuge in order to obtain gasoline and was executing a regular flight.

According to eyewitnesses, the airplane tried to avoid a collision with the helicopter. The pilot gave gas and made on low height a sharp turn to the left. Hereby became the plan in a stall and dove it, nearly straight down, into a corn field.

Eyewitnesses went fast to the wreck to provide first aid . The rescue was efficient and fast.

The crew took part at the International Ladies Cup, a navigation competition for ladies that started these weekend from airport Teuge. The program for today was cancelled. If the event will continue tomorrow is unclear.

see WWW :
http://www.geldersdagblad.nl/regioportal/GDZ/0,2622,1974-voorpagina__1729768_,00.html#_
1-55822-1729768-176570-groot.jpg

Jaap,

Thank you for bringing this sad event to our attention. There’s another article with a different photo at the Teuge airport web site (http://www.teuge-airport.nl/http://www.teuge-airport.nl/). I believe the aircraft in question was Cirrus SR20 S/N 1117, registered as N209CD.

Sincerely,
Roger

well the takehome from that photo is that the cirrus ‘cage’ is strong. The back’s gone, the front’s gone, the wings seem a little bit gone, but the bit where people sit is still there.

Very regrettable to have another cirrus crash (or any plane crash for that matter). I wonder how much the concentration on spot landing contributed to this crash.

In reply to:

I believe the aircraft in question was Cirrus SR20 S/N 1117, registered as N209CD.

My heart goes out to those involved, and I wish them a speedy and full recovery.

Its serial number is a poignant reminder to me that N209CD was a sort of sibling to N84MR - it probably rolled down the production line just in front of my airplane, S/N 1118.

I took this photo of N209CD opposite Timm Preusser’s N747TG (S/N 1106) at the Groningen fly-in at the end of last May. I was struck by the “Golden Tulip” logo on the tail – IIRC, I and most of the visitors stayed at a Golden Tulip hotel.

Next time I think, “It can’t happen to me”, I’ll look at this photo again.

• Mike.
    1-55835-_N209CD.jpg

Here is an update from http://www.teuge-airport.nlhttp://www.teuge-airport.nl.

UPDATE 17 AUGUSTUS

De vlieger is zaterdag uit het ziekenhuis in Deventer ontslagen. De politie heeft inmiddels met haar gesproken. De navigator is goed bij kennis, het herstel gaat naar tevredenheid van de behandelende artsen. Goed nieuws dus!

ROUGH ENGLISH TRANSLATION (thanks to my Mac’s translation engine):

The aviator has been dismissed Saturday from the hospital in Deventer, the police force has meanwhile with its said. The navigator is well at knowledge, convalescence goes to satisfaction of the treating doctors. Good news therefore!

I wonder how much the concentration on spot landing contributed to this crash…
…or, for that matter, the presence of the police helicopter (see below). Jaap, is there a control tower at Teuge?

Graphic from http://www.geldersdagblad.nl/regioportal/GDZ/0,2622,1974-Voorpagina__1729768_,00.html#_Gelders Dagblad

I wonder how effective the seat belts were?

Teuge is a non -controlled field, has traffic advisory, it is an aerodrome.

For me it is painful, since I have flown on the N209CD at least for a 15-20hrs.

Let me wish the Pilot and Co-pilot a speedy and full recovery.

Jaap Zondag
N263CD & N264CD

Looking at the photo of the intact passenger cabin and the description of a deep head wound, one can’t avoid the thought that a better passenger restraint system would have helped. Perhaps it is time to consider aviation air bags?

Of course we must await the investigation before coming to hasty judgements, but this does remind me of something very similiar that I witnessed many years ago during a Grumman flyin at Groningen. We decided to hold a spot landing competition at Ameland, an island airfield to the NW of Groningen and right in front of my final approach a brand new Tiger crashed and was destroyed just short of the runway. In this case it was not a conflicting helicopter but a very blustery and strong cross wind that diverted the pilot. The aircraft was written off, but the pilot stepped out embarassed but unhurt.

I think the present accident may be the first serious one in Europe so far, which if so it does suggest that the Cirrus fleet is basically safe.

My thoughts are with the occupant of N209CD and I wish them a speedy recovery/

If I understand the translation correctly, it would appear that the two injured persons may be female? Whether true or not, I wonder if they “fell out of their shoulder belts”, being on the small size of things? In other words, I wonder if our dire concern - of loose fitting and ill fitting shoulder retraction systems predisposes passengers to more serious injury - has come true?

I surely hope this is not the case!

Every time my wife or smaller persons fly in the plane, I have thoughts of this very thing happening. This accident does not give me much comfort!

Let us all hope that the belts worked as advertised and didn’t fail to work like they should.

However, if indeed these injuries were related with inadequate retraction of the shoulder belts, then I would expect Cirrus to push this ongoing problem to the front burner and get it fixed.

Every time I have brought this matter up to Cirrus, they say “Engineering is aware of the problem and it is being worked on”. Somehow, this ongoing delay in a fix leaves me very uneasy.

David Schwietert 203 RF PDF/TKS/TRAFFIC/SKYWATCH

Without making any comment on the efficacy or otherwise of the seatbelts (I simply don’t have any data here), one thought does occur to me: The occupants survived a very serious crash, and I’m hard-pressed to imagine that the incident would have been more survivable in a “conventional” aircraft. The photo of the airplane, apparently after a “cratering” event, really has me leaning toward believing that the roll-cage design of of the cabin of this airplane may be one of the most significant (and least talked-about) safety features of the airplane.

• Mike.

I’m sure I speak for all COPA members when I say I’m relieved that both ladies are doing better. I wish them a speedy recovery.

-Mike

If there is anything GOOD about the Cirrus crashes, I think this is it. All of the controlled crashes have resulted in the cabin remaining intact and the occupants surviving. This latest crash in Germany underscores the strength of the cabin after seeing those pictures. I cannot imagine this incident being survivable in a Cessna.

In reply to:

This latest crash in Germany…

Brian,

I know you know that the Netherlands isn’t in Germany! [:)]

I think that the cabin strength as well as the layout (no big yoke right in front of front-seaters, more curved surfaces, etc.) are indeed huge assets that render more sudden-deceleration events survivable. Something to think about when we decide to mount paraphernalia on the bolster panel - I’m guilty of that.

• Mike.

Something to think about when we decide to mount paraphernalia on the bolster panel - I’m guilty of that.

And use oxygen bottles not strapped in the front seat (as per POH).

What I’ve heard second hand is that the wings were ripped off (!) and found 40 meters (120 ft) from the cabin. Tail was ripped off and the engine found on top of the cabin.

Strange thing is that the normal state police (wich was also using the helicopter) is handling this crash instead off the ‘Rijksrecherche’ / internal affairs super police