Cam,Lifters, Starter, Alternator, Cylinders

Can anyone tell me, if they are willing to comment outside the members area, why TCM has problems with it’s Cam & Lifters, Cylinders, Starters and alternators on the SR22/IO550N combination? Also, why did they lower the standard for engine compression testing and allowable wear on cam and lifters?

In reply to:

Can anyone tell me, …

And a question for you – why do you choose to post anonymously?

Why?

It is obvious to me that they are unable to meet their design quality control and reliability standards so they must lower their stnadards.

It would seem better business to me to improve the quality but hey, I’m not a publicly held company concerned about my next quarterly statement…

As an insider, I choose not to be so trusting, with your COPA President being courted by TCM. Smoke and mirrors maybe, or not!

1 Like

And also TCM monitors this site(public and member) to keep on top of what is being said. So I put myself at risk by posting to some extent.

1 Like

In reply to:

So I put myself at risk by posting to some extent.

That is fair. I know TCM is taking a dim view of shops who in their view have been too aggressive on these issues.

From what I could see, TCM has very little leverage over the sole-source supplier of lifters, who would just as soon be shut of the GA business. TCM is evaluating alternatives. The problem does seem to affect some engines more than others (the IO550 has it, the IO360 seems not to) and that isn’t understood.

On starters, there was a problem during the changeover to a new lightweight starter. I’m not aware of an ongoing problem.

And do tell about alternators?

Do tell about alternators?

C’mon Curt that’s teasing him!

If he were a member he could see this thread on an alternator physically breaking apart in IMC over the mountains and others saying their low time in service alternators have also physically broken apart in flight for no apparent reason.

Corrosion? Lack of use? High cholesterol diet?

Not to mention the reports of members saying that many are having to replace the alternator before 500 TT due to it failing to charge.

What is really sad though is profiting from the misery of your customers.

The fact that Cirrus is charging upwards of $2,300 for this common alternator and will not allow the P/N to be sold through normal channels at a normal (under $1,000) price is something you might want to ask Alan about next time you’'re talking to him.

However, this fellows question reminds me of a quote by somebody smarter than me…

“Most questions asked really are statements”

In reply to:

Not to mention the reports of members saying that many are having to replace the alternator before 500 TT due to it failing to charge.

As an anecdotal datapoint, I’ve been through 5 alternators in 4 years/650 hours in my ancient SR20…

One interesting thing about the alternators! TCM sells approximately 20 different alternators, they only make 2 themselves. Want to guess which ones are sold to Cirrus? Why not offer one of the other brands for replacement?

Teasing Me! I’m here to broaden your outlook on these topics.

In reply to:

As an anecdotal datapoint, I’ve been through 5 alternators in 4 years/650 hours in my ancient SR20…

My SR20 is now in for its 2nd Annual and I was informed that the alternator must be replaced. It was working OK, but they said the fan “separated” from the rest of the unit. I’m not sure exactly what that means (I don’t take the cowl off myself) but at 520 hours I guess I’m lucky (!) (?)

Jim Knollenberg SR20 1281 N814

5 alternators?

How much are they charging you? (no pun intended!)

In reply to:

5 alternators?

How much are they charging you? (no pun intended!)

I’m not in front of my maintenance records right now, but IIRC, the first 3 were replaced under warranty. In fact, at least one of them might not have HAD to be replaced because it was just a leaking oil seal – this happened later on after warranty and we were able to purchase just the gasket instead of the entire alternator.

Again going on probably faulty memory, the last two alternators were on the order of $1300 each.

In addition to these replacements, I’ve had at least 2 times when the alternator “failed” (i.e. stopped producing power) but it was due to something other than the alternator itself.

In reply to:

]I’m here to broaden your outlook on these topics.

Well done! There are now polls up on the Members’ side to collect data on this topic. Hope you can check them out in another persona.

Wish I could but TCM’s lawyers would probably get after me, You guys really don’t understand what they will do to save face, even if it means your ****.

1 Like