C package

If you lose the #1 430, you are in deep trouble when IFR minimums at your destination and alternate require ILS. As you know, GPS minimums are higher. Hopes of a WAAS system for your GPS that will provide minimums near ILS minimums are, unfortunately, off in the future.

Not if you declare an emergency. In a serious situation I would not hesitate to “fly the normal pattern” to a long (ILS) runway using the 420’s map at 1-2 miles resolution and the altimeter. Even if you’re 100-150 HAT instead of the normal 50 you can get down in time to land.

Also at a significant number of airports with towers, “C” and larger the controler can provide a PAR approach or equivalent approach to suppliment the 420.

Mike Myers

I bought the ‘C’ package primarily for the vertical nav capabilities of the autopilot. The ability to couple an ILS is to me a much more significant safety addition than the second NAV radio and OBS head (though having redundancy there is also a good thing.) I find I use Vs hold quite a bit, particularly for descent planning (“lessee, I need 400 fpm down.” click click.)

Worth the extra cash? Hard to measure. Makes for a very pretty avionics stack tho.

With the “B” package there is only the HSI as I understand.

No, that’s not correct. The GNC420 has its own dedicated OBS indicator (bottom left of the panel). So if the HSI goes out, you still have the #2 GPS fully functional. But in any case, the 430 and 420 both have a track indicator on the default nav page, so you could have both nav heads fail and still be able to quite happily fly en-route or a GPS approach - just a little more work (and probably less smoothly if the HI part of the HSI was out too).

No, that’s not correct. The GNC420 has its own dedicated OBS indicator (bottom left of the panel). So if the HSI goes out, you still have the #2 GPS fully functional. But in any case, the 430 and 420 both have a track indicator on the default nav page, so you could have both nav heads fail and still be able to quite happily fly en-route or a GPS approach - just a little more work (and probably less smoothly if the HI part of the HSI was out too).

Clyde:

Thanks for correcting that. My understanding now is that each unit, whether a 430 or a 420, has a nav head. The 420 would not have the glideslope I guess. But they both ALSO have the map features in the unit that ALSO allows course guidance. So the unit , in essence, backs up itself to some degree if the nav head fails. THAT IS QUITE NICE.

How many of you out there cureenly fly with 2 vor/glideslope nav heads.

Brain

Clyde:

Thanks for correcting that. My understanding now is that each unit, whether a 430 or a 420, has a nav head. The 420 would not have the glideslope I guess. But they both ALSO have the map features in the unit that ALSO allows course guidance. So the unit , in essence, backs up itself to some degree if the nav head fails. THAT IS QUITE NICE.

How many of you out there cureenly fly with 2 vor/glideslope nav heads.

Brian

All of you with the “B” package: Do you see any advantages to the other upgrades in the “C” package such as the better auotopilot, electric HSI and extra alternator?

the 2nd alternator is, I think, a must for serious IFR - but you can add it to the B package (we did). The fancy autopilot is not worth the difference in price (to me anyway). And the electric HSI is probably more reliable, but you do at least have a backup vacuum pump, which appears to work well. I hope that Cirrus will make the SR20 an all-electric system in the future. Surely that could not cost much more than the present system with 1 alt and 2 vacuum pumps.

You raise some good points. The cost benefit analysis of the difference between the"B" & “C” package may not be worth the price especially if you add the second alternator. Is there a way ti isolate one alternator from the other in the electrical system?

I would like to hear from folks with the “C” package their analysis of why they went the extra mile.

brian