Sandel & 430?

It seems to me that the Sandel functions are just about completely duplicated on the 430. In fact, having to set up both of them would just add to the complexity of the flight.

Does anyone see a real advantage to having both?

It seems to me that the Sandel functions are just about completely duplicated on the 430. In fact, having to set up both of them would just add to the complexity of the flight.

I think there is certainly a lot of overlap, but they are definately not substitutes. Would you like to fly a ILS approach using only a 430 on the side for glide slope guidance?

I think you will find that most pilots will tend to use the 430’s as engines to run the ARNAV & Sandel and then use their (the 430’s) displays for info on freqs, flight plans, etc. - things that do not require scanning in the instrument environment.

And yes, I think it will add to the complexity, but I suspect most pilots will use 1 or 2 of the functions (modes) of it almost exclusively.

The Sandel functions as an HSI, which is already on the “C” configuration. Sandel has some additional neat features, such as stormscope interface, plus all the approaches, airspace, runway diagrams, etc. in graphic form right where you need them – on the instrument for scanning. No need to start looking elsewhere on the 430 or the ARNAV. Unless you’re instruemnt trained, I don’t think one would appreciate it as much. It would make a nice option on the SR20. I would trade the ARNAV for the Sandel, even though the Sandel is small. You still need an IFR certified GPS (a Garmin 430 for example) to interface with the Sandel. It’s not a stand-alone GPS.

I only do one or two “real” IFR approaches every year so I am no expert. However, I can say that anything that allows me to reduce my scan and decrease the need to turn my head is a good thing!

I have a friend who has a 2000 Archer with dual 430s and a Sandel HSI. He refers to this as his most important piece of gear and would give up the 430s before giving up the Sandel if he had to choose. I’ve flown with him and it’s amazing.

btw, he’s in the process of having a King HSI removed and a Sandel added to his new 2000 Beech B36TC (with 9 hours). Some people have all the fun…

Can’t wait to get mine!!

Chris SR 20 #672 and SR22 #70

The Sandel EHSI does not cost that much more than the King HSI’s currently used in the 20, so it’s not a question of paying that much more for it, if at all. What you get is 5 times the unit, It is that allows a pilot to see as much or as little of the situation as he/she wants to. Set it up for what you like and leave it alone or change it on the fly…

For an in-depth review from AvWeb try:

www.avweb.com/articles/sandel.html

The only negative is that ever present potential to go dark… But, given what I’ve read that doesn’t seem to be anymore likely than a regular HSI failing.

And while I agree IFR pilots will love it, I think it is also excellent for the low-time pilot who may not be so adept at intercepting and tracking courses and working the 430 at the same time… It’s nice not to have to look anywhere but directly in front of you to see what is what…

Is there any hope of a Sandel EHSI option for the SR20? I have my checkbook ready!

Is there any hope of a Sandel EHSI option for the SR20? I have my checkbook ready!

I’m sure Cirrus will listen to a man (or a woman) with a big checkbook! Most airplane manufacturers do, although Cirrus has the advantage with 600 customers drooling. I’d wait until its time to pick the options and lay it on them then. How much trouble could it be for Cirrus to install a Sandel? Especially now that they’re tied in with Sandel. Matter of fact they could even increase their profit per plane. If I was Alan Klapmeier, I’d take your check and slap in a Sandel unless I thought you’d jump for the higher priced SR 22 with that big checkbook.