Bose Headsets

On several cross country trip’s ATC has complained about the radios being very broken, scratchy,ie very hard to understand. I can hear and understand their transmission with no problem. A Cirrus service center avionic person was telling me that this is a common complaint with Bose headsets. That Bose and Cirrus together create a lot of static for ATC. Has anyone else experience this problem? Larry

Quite the contrary. I’ve gotten occasional complaints using a Lightspeed, but none with the Bose.
Be sure your mic is very close to your lips and check that the air vent isn’t blowing right on the mic.

Not one complaint on the bose…Signed ex lightspeed guy,Ed

lightspeed for 275 hrs & never a problem…

Used both Lightspeeds and Bose in the Cirrus and never a problem.

Rgoer
N706CD

I traded headsets with my daughter one morning while on the ground, bose for lightspeed. First radio call was inaudible by the tower using the lightspeed. I traded back to the bose, told ground what I had done andthe controller replied “good move”.
I have never had an issue with the bose.

Larry: I have never had a complaint while using the Bose.

I agree with Jerrold that the mike position is important. If my mike is not in the ideal position, I make sure to adjust it. It should almost be touching your lips off to one side of your mouth. Also, the air vent can be very noisy and create a wind noise if directed at the mike. On my last flight my friend asked me what a certain noise was. It turns out that it was my air vent. If the little vane inside the air vent is turned in a particular way it makes a lot of noise.

From the description of “broken, scratchy” I would make sure the mike plug is clean of any dirt or corrosion.

Also, what does the mike sound like on the intercom? If the passengers can hear your mike fine in the aircraft, then ATC should hear the same.

In reply to:

If my mike is not in the ideal position, I make sure to adjust it.

In reply to:

It should almost be touching your lips off to one side of your mouth.

In reply to:

Also, the air vent can be very noisy and create a wind noise if directed at the mike.

In reply to:

I would make sure the mike plug is clean of any dirt or corrosion.

Stephen,
I didn’t realize that you knew my wife, Lil, so well!
That’s just what Lil says.
I couldn’t agree more.
Boy, is that ever true!
A request I’ve had before. As it happens, I prefer it that way.
Mike [:D]

That was a hilarious post and should be posted in the proposed “hilarious post” Forum! [:)]

In reply to:

That was a hilarious post and should be posted in the proposed “hilarious post” Forum!

Gordon,

Thanks – I meant to add that I didn’t mean to imply anything negative about Stephen’s post… some people abbreviate “microphone” as “mic”, some as “mike”; but with the “mike” spelling, there were just too many “straight lines” for me to pass up.

• Mike.

PS - Lil (left) thought it was funny, too. So did our friend Lynn.