best place to stay in duluth

I am going to CD the 12 th of april I was wondering what suggestions for hotels Clean and reasonably priced pick up sr22 and UND school thanks very much.

Keith,

I have stayed at both Fitgers downtown and Hampton Inn on the waterfront near Canal Park. Fitgers is kind of expensive and more of an old classy style hotel. The Hampton Inn is pretty new and very comfortable.

Since it sounds like you are going to be in Duluth for a few days, you might want to stay closer to the airport. I have not been in any of these hotels, but I’m sure the guys will chime in soon with some appropriate recommendations. If you do decide you want to stay downtown, the Hampton Inn is economical and has a nice cozy atmosphere.

I stayed at the Hawthorn Suites downtown, and loved it. The hotel added to my overall wonderful experience picking up my plane.

Andy

I stayed at the Radisson and it was horrible. They screwed up just about everything they could. The main reason we picked it wad because of the shuttle they had which would take you back and forth to the airport/cirrus. Every time we needed it, it was ‘unavailable’.

Jerry

I stayed at the Holiday Inn downtown. It was fine, pool and hottub indoor, about 50 bucks. However downtown is about a 20 minute drive to Cirrus. I got a car for 100 bucks for the three days. If I had to do it again I would probably stay by the mall. Not much to see downtown when I was there, it was still very cold two weeks ago.

In reply to:

I was wondering what suggestions for hotels Clean and reasonably priced pick up sr22

Fitgers Fitgers Fitgers!!! [:)] http://www.fitgers.com/
For me personally ( since I am my favorite person in the whole world ) …at the Cirrus discounted rate of $85… the extra $35 is worth it to be at Fitgers ! Brew pub and restaurant on site with another couple of restaurants in the building (with associated shopping for your family). The waterviews are wonderful - the pub has great food…the the free breakfast and valet parking are nice touches ! C’mon…it’s a $400,000 airplane a couple extra buck$ of pampering won’t hurt ! In fact you might sleep better, when you “order your pillow for the evening.” Your pillow choices are goose down, buckwheat, shreaded legal documents (for Dennis H.) and about six other choices.
Second thought - I think I will keep this hotel a secret since I want it to be available if I ever go back to Duluth on vacation.

Kieth: There are obviously a number of choices. My choice would be a hotel near the airport. Of those, the Fairfield is a good choice. I personally don’t think taking family along is a good idea. You will have plenty of tasks to accomplish between learning the plane, the avionics and dealing with the always potential squawks. You will have a long cross country in a new aircraft. If you do have family along, Fitger’s looks like a good choice.

Actually a similar scenario came up during the last CPPP risk management course. The scenario was a pilot picking up his plane that had just finished annual with his family leaving in the afternoon. There was discussion that having the family along with a plane with annual just finished was a risk factor. Certainly a brand new aircraft is probably equivalent to an annual.

Whatever you do, make the reservation for a few days longer than you plan to stay and keep your personal plans flexible. You may have weather that interferes with training or mechanical problems that will delay the process. Having to find another hotel with all that going on is an unneeded distraction.

Hey thanks for the information Keith

Hello

I just got back from Duluth…I stayed at the Fairfield INN… It is approx 5 minutes from the airport, and across from the only Mall in Duluth…(in case you are weathered inn and cannot fly…
We had some bad fog last weekend… were grounded 1 day for weather… I payed 60 a night. Inlcuded contenental breakfast.

Good luck and have fun

Gary Settle
SR 22 G-2

In reply to:

I have stayed at both Fitgers downtown and Hampton Inn on the waterfront near Canal Park. Fitgers is kind of expensive and more of an old classy style hotel. The Hampton Inn is pretty new and very comfortable.

The Cirrus rate at Fitgers is (or at least was) only $79 IIRC. At that rate, a no-brainer. Free broadband net access, too.

Whatever you do don’t stay at the Hawthorne Suites. It is a converted warehouse - really. There are some rooms with no windows - really. The beds are made of concrete - not really - concrete would be more comfortable.

I also liked staying close to the airport. I was there for delivery and training. Not to party. The days in is about a 10 min drive to Cirrus. There is good place to eat called grannys near there. I rented a car from A-car cheap and also handy. They will pick you up and let you leave the car at Cirrus they will come and pick it up. When it is time for you to fly home. Don

I did what Don did but Stayed at the Fairfield Inn because I had Marriott points to trade. They have free breakfast and only a 10 minute ride to the airport.

In reply to:

There is good place to eat called grannys near there.

Keith,
I would second Grandma’s as a nice place to eat. There are locations by the mall and also near downtown by Canal Park.

Heartily agree with the Fitgers recommendation. Just exploring the building can make a pleasant evening. But be forewarned – the staff considers some parts haunted!

In reply to:

The Cirrus rate at Fitgers is (or at least was) only $79 IIRC. At that rate, a no-brainer. Free broadband net access, too.

Keith,
I just have to say that Scott, Curt and Gordon are 100% right with what they say about Fitgers. I stayed at the Hampton before I discovered Fitgers. Looking back at my post, “expensive…old classy” did not come off as a good endorsement. I spent New Year’s eve 2002—the day 4AG was delivered—in one of the restaurants connected to the hotel and had a lot of fun. The hotel itself is very comfortable and has more character than any other hotel in the city.

From a pure cost standpoint, Fitgers would not win, but I would go along with the guys in saying it is worth the extra money to stay there. There is very good logic in staying by the Miller Hill Mall which is closer to the airport, but I personally enjoyed the nice drive back to downtown and the waterfront at the end of the day.

Above all, be safe and have fun!