Avionics

A rookie needs help. I’m in the process of buying a used SR20 with an Arnav MFD. The airplane has no stormscope.

If I add the Garmin datalink weather, does anyone know if it will show on the MFD? Any other good options for economical, good weather info.?

These issues have been discussed extensively on the members forum, but I’ll try to very briefly summarize here:

In reply to:

If I add the Garmin datalink weather, does anyone know if it will show on the MFD?

Nope, it won’t.

In reply to:

Any other good options for economical, good weather info.?

If you want the weather on the Arnav MFD, you’ll have to go with Arnav’s solution. At $7,000+, I’m not sure it’s “economical”, but that’s up to each potential buyer to decide.

Others have gone with portable solutions like http://www.anywherewx.com>Anywhere, WSI InFlight, or the one I chose to go with: WeatherWorx.

Where in the world did you find a used SR20??? Been looking for a long time, not much out there…

Steve is absolutely right. But the datalink weather WILL display on your Garmin 430 screens. If you want it on the MFD there is a hefty price tag. If you do not want it solely on the Garmin display, I would opt for a different system.

Thanks to all for your helpful information sharing.

Any thoughts on which would be better between the two choices of the less expensive data link being displayed on one of the Garmin 430’s, or the “middle cost” option of a stormscope displayed on the Arnav?

Knowing that the Nexrad is only a strategic tool doesn’t bother me much because I’m more the conservative, avoid weather, type. But, not having flown with it at all, I’m still a bit in the dark about how helpful it will be.

The pre-buy inspection is scheduled for late next week. I’d like to get some type of weather system planned before I start flying the airplane around too much. Who knows, I might just like flying a Cirrus so much that I won’t get out of it for the installation.

Where in the world did you find a used SR20??? Been looking for a long time, not much out there…

Matt,

I just found five (5) used SR20s on Aircraft Shopper Online (http://www.aso.com/http://www.aso.com/). So they are indeed out there!

Please share with us which sources you’ve been using. I’m sure many folks on the Forum would be happy to suggest other places to look.

Cheers,
Roger

Make me an offer I can’t refuse. Mine is an SR20C with only 360hrs

Matt,

Found it on-line.

Saw your post about the airframe cert hrs on the Cirrus. I heard the same rumor and e-mailed Cirrus. Got a response that the SR 20 is already certified for 12,000 hours and they expect that the newer 22 will eventually get the same, although it is not yet done.

The rumor that I heard was for a ridiculously low number. It made me wonder if it was just uninformed, or jealousy of the type airplane that is rapidly gaining popularity.

Did I see somewhere that you’re in IN and looking for an instructor? I’m in IN and know the Cirrus guy, Steve Mathews, at EVV/TSA. He’s a great guy and a professional pilot.

Bob

send me some information to my home email pa32pilot@hotmail.com, maybe some pictures, equipment list…I’m ready to buy…just need to find the right bird.

thanks for the interest.

Matt

In reply to:

I’d like to get some type of weather system planned before I start flying the airplane around too much.

Many on this site are eagerly awaiting some kind of weather display. I think it falls into the category of a “nice thing to have”.

But…

Somehow, we all managed to fly missions for years without weather depiction, Stormscope, or even, God Forbid, GPS!

You say you’re a rookie - how much of a rookie are you? If you’re just starting out it’s not hard to focus on the wrong things. ANY Cirrus with ANY avionics package is so far ahead of anything most of us flew even 5 years ago that ANY Cirrus would be a fine choice for a “rookie”.

If you really are a “rookie”, maybe focus on the basics first.