ARNAV Replacement?

I picked up 223CD in January. I know there has been a lot of discussion about the ARNAV and it’s abilities or disabilities. As far as I am concerned it is useless.

I own a B55 Baron with a Garmon 530 and a stormscope. This is a good combination for the pilot that uses this aircraft since most or a lot of the Barons time is in IFR. (This airplane is used for hauling my sales people around).

On the other hand, I received by private last August and fly only VFR. Before picking up my SR20 I had a Piper Warrior with a SKYMAP III which is a VFR only version of the Bendix King KMD 150. For VFR only flying the SkymapIII is MORE usefull then the Garmons 430 or 530. I like the graphics with terrain and it has a joystick pointer which makes it very easy to use.

I realize that one day I will have my instrument ticket and will need the IFR data bases in the other displays so I would like help in determinding which unit to replace the ARNAV. Also keeping in mind the I want Data Link capability with weather and traffic when available.

So here are the three units I am considering, please help me with the plus and minus of each.

UPS MX 20

Bendix King KMD 550 (It has the joystick)

Avidyne FlightMax.

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Here’s the deal on the MX20:

1. Much smaller than the ARNAV

2. Highest resoultion of any moving map. This is really nice on a long flight, or anytime you are using the the unit extensively

3. Terrain awareness overlay with 3 color warning system that is quite accurate in the US

4. Photo quality computer generated IFR/VFR charts

5. Soon to be delivered – actual Jepp DP/STAR/Approach plates scanned and presented on the display. Also their airport diagrams. The plane is then superimposed on the chart.

6. ADS-B capable – the new FAA collision avoidence system testing in Alaska as we speak

7. Interfaces with at least one strikefinder type instrument, can’t remember which.

There’s more. Your best bet is to go to UPSAT.COM and then click on all the MX20 links. One of them takes a few minutes to load but then allows you to scroll through 20 or so versions of customized screens…

It’s a great unit, but it’s size is an issue when compared to the ARNAV.

Cost is about 5-7K

NOT available with built in GPS. So the Garmin would have to drive it.

Here’s the deal on the MX20:

1. Much smaller than the ARNAV
  1. Highest resoultion of any moving map. This is really nice on a long flight, or anytime you are using the the unit extensively
  1. Terrain awareness overlay with 3 color warning system that is quite accurate in the US
  1. Photo quality computer generated IFR/VFR charts
  1. Soon to be delivered – actual Jepp DP/STAR/Approach plates scanned and presented on the display. Also their airport diagrams. The plane is then superimposed on the chart.
  1. ADS-B capable – the new FAA collision avoidence system testing in Alaska as we speak
  1. Interfaces with at least one strikefinder type instrument, can’t remember which.

There’s more. Your best bet is to go to UPSAT.COM and then click on all the MX20 links. One of them takes a few minutes to load but then allows you to scroll through 20 or so versions of customized screens…

It’s a great unit, but it’s size is an issue when compared to the ARNAV.

Cost is about 5-7K

NOT available with built in GPS. So the Garmin would have to drive it.

Dean,

Thanks for the information. I pulled up the UPSAT.com site and am amazed at the capabilities of the MX20. I will talk to my avionics shop to get the details of the installation but it looks like thats the way I will go.

Thanks again,

Mark