Another positive customer service experience

A couple of weeks ago I was crawling around in my SR20 shooting photos for an upcoming article (JimF, watch out!) and was folding the front seats back and forth trying to get camera angles. Somewhere along the way, the cord from my Bose X headset must have gotten into the seat mechanism, because the next time I went to fly, it had been cut cleanly in two.

I stuck the whole thing in a box and shipped it off to Bose in Framingham MA along with a credit card number, since it was obviously not a failure in design or workmanship. I also had never sent in the warranty card and offered no evidence that the headset was under warranty (their records showed that it had been manufactured 16 months ago.) I shipped it overnight last Monday.

I received it today, UPS 2-day (so it probably went out on Friday.) “Repaired, under warranty, no charge.” Didn’t even charge me for the shipping.

In the local parlance, this does not totally suck.

(For reasons too twisted to relay here, I brought the headset back from NM to CA, then boxed it for shipping in CA and carried it back to NM. I had used those plastic bags full of air that had come in some other shipment, and I learned that you don’t want to pack a box tightly with them, particularly if you are doing so at 40 MSL. When we got to New Mexico I noticed that the side of the box had been blown out! The apocryphal story of the bag of Cheetos in the F-16 comes to mind.)

I received the same service when I sent back my series I Bose last year. Very professional, and I just loved the package they used to send it back. Felt like I was getting a new headset.

Although I wouldn’t have minded if they would have upgraded me to an X.

A couple of weeks ago I was crawling around in my SR20 shooting photos for an upcoming article (JimF, watch out!) and was folding the front seats back and forth trying to get camera angles. Somewhere along the way, the cord from my Bose X headset must have gotten into the seat mechanism, because the next time I went to fly, it had been cut cleanly in two.

I stuck the whole thing in a box and shipped it off to Bose in Framingham MA along with a credit card number, since it was obviously not a failure in design or workmanship. I also had never sent in the warranty card and offered no evidence that the headset was under warranty (their records showed that it had been manufactured 16 months ago.) I shipped it overnight last Monday.

I received it today, UPS 2-day (so it probably went out on Friday.) “Repaired, under warranty, no charge.” Didn’t even charge me for the shipping.

In the local parlance, this does not totally suck.

(For reasons too twisted to relay here, I brought the headset back from NM to CA, then boxed it for shipping in CA and carried it back to NM. I had used those plastic bags full of air that had come in some other shipment, and I learned that you don’t want to pack a box tightly with them, particularly if you are doing so at 40 MSL. When we got to New Mexico I noticed that the side of the box had been blown out! The apocryphal story of the bag of Cheetos in the F-16 comes to mind.)

I finally put on my newly repaired headset yesterday and noticed that not only had they repaired it for free, but they replaced the little foam rubber insert at the hinge on the top with a nice piece of sheepskin. Two tips of the hat to Bose…