down in a field south of town.
Engine rod failure was sited.I
am trying to get more information.

News at the Thomasville Ga. Airport

today is that a SR-20 Cirrus went

Hope no one is hurt and they plane is not to bad you said anther 20 has there been many others i have pos no 215 just dont want ins to go up thanks

Do you have more info on this accident? Did the pax survive the crash? Did the chute need to be deployed?

Thanx for any piece of info.

Hoping that nothing serious happened to the people

Placido

I called the Thomasville Police this morning. The dispatcher said there was no crash, just a landing in a field and a flat tire. No injuries. He didn’t know the reason for the landing. On Sunday morning, I was lucky to get this info.

Thanks for your update. Curious as to why you characterized this as a “crash” when you clearly have information enough to know that it was an engine failure and an apparently successful forced landing. Also, you say you wonder how long it will take Cirrus and Continental to issue statements. Are aircraft manufacturers often in the habit of issuing press releases immediately after every mechanical failure? I’m as interested as the next guy in knowing what this incident is all about, but I’m not sure I understand your approach to this. Do you mind disclosing who you are and what your interest is in this incident? Are you just an aviation enthusiast from GA or something more? Also, so I get it right, is your name Tim or Brooks? Thanks…

I went and inspected your crashed SR20 today. Damage was very slight…scuff marks to the tops of the wings, wheel covers cracked, front cowling cracked, and the engine was completely removed.

Rumor has it that the engine slung a rod, made an immergency engine out landing onto a grass strip, but caught a fence in the process.

Registration was N174CD, Ser.#1057 registered Oct. 7, 2000 to Alice in Albany, Georgia.

Hope no one is hurt and they plane is not to bad you said anther 20 has there been many others i have pos no 215 just dont want ins to go up thanks

Don, the only other Cirrus crashes have been the S/N 1001 experimental that fatally crashed testing aileron mods (prior to shipment of any production aircraft) and one that force-landed with little damage near Chicago after breaking a crankshaft (one of the ones that led to the Contintental crankshaft AD).

PS - Don, the Shift, Enter and punctuation keys will make your posts much easier to read.

I called the Thomasville Police this morning. The dispatcher said there was no crash, just a landing in a field and a flat tire. No injuries. He didn’t know the reason for the landing. On Sunday morning, I was lucky to get this info.

PS I wasn’t able to confirm this was actually a Cirrus.

Thanks for this update. Certain now that it was a Cirrus? Any furher info on what actually happened? (Engine blowup like the one in Illinois? Something else?) Hoping /assuming no injuries. jf.

Thanks for this update. Certain now that it was a Cirrus? Any furher info on what actually happened? (Engine blowup like the one in Illinois? Something else?) Hoping /assuming no injuries. jf.

The FAA web page (which usually has this stuff within 24 hours) shows no sign. There was a PA28 that “crashed short of the runway” in Tifton GA after reporting a rough running engine; perhaps that’s where this stemmed from (though Tifton is some distance from where this was reported to have occurred.) So how did this rumor get started?

The FAA web page (which usually has this stuff within 24 hours) shows no sign. There was a PA28 that “crashed short of the runway” in Tifton GA after reporting a rough running engine; perhaps that’s where this stemmed from (though Tifton is some distance from where this was reported to have occurred.) So how did this rumor get started?

There were no injuries to the people on the Cirrus, but it is quite definitely a Cirrus and is quite definitely an engine blowup. The Cirrus landed in a field south of Thomasville and the PA28 was, as was said, in Tifton. I guess the question now is, how long until cirrus and Continental make a statement on it.

It is of note that the previous engine failure/forced landing in IL did not show up in the NTSB Accident database, apparently not meeting the criteria of an “accident”.

It is of note that the previous engine failure/forced landing in IL did not show up in the NTSB Accident database, apparently not meeting the criteria of an “accident”.

However, it DID show up in the FAA “Incident” database, along with another SR20 “incident” in which it sounds like the passenger hit the right brake, causing the plane to exit the runway.

Here’s the URL – I’d expect to see this most recent forced landing in the database within a couple weeks:

http://nasdac.faa.gov/asp/fw_fids.asp

Steve

However, it DID show up in the FAA “Incident” database, along with another SR20 “incident” in which it sounds like the passenger hit the right brake, causing the plane to exit the runway.

The gov’t report is actually quite droll. In its entirety:

“DURING LANDING ROLLOUT PASSENGER IN THE RIGHT SEAT GOT EXCITED AND APPLIED MAX PRESSURE TO THE RIGHT BRAKE, CAUSING THE A/C TO EXIT THE RUNWAY AND HIT A “FEET REMAINING” AIRPORT SIGN. ACTION BY PASSENGER WAS UNINTENTIONAL”

I mean, I’m sure it’s not droll to have anything happen to an airplane. But as a description…

Was this the same airplane that ding the prop in SC? The tail # sounded familiar. Good Landing…

This is why we must practice engine out. Every make and model will come down sometime, be ahead of the game and practice.

Keep the dirty side down

Woor

I went and inspected your crashed SR20 today. Damage was very slight…scuff marks to the tops of the wings, wheel covers cracked, front cowling cracked, and the engine was completely removed.

Rumor has it that the engine slung a rod, made an immergency engine out landing onto a grass strip, but caught a fence in the process.

Registration was N174CD, Ser.#1057 registered Oct. 7, 2000 to Alice in Albany, Georgia.

Was this the same airplane that ding the prop in SC? The tail # sounded familiar. Good Landing…

This is why we must practice engine out. Every make and model will come down sometime, be ahead of the game and practice.

Keep the dirty side down

Woor

I think that is commendable that the pilot weighed his or her options and in this case did not pull the rip cord on the chute. Good job.M Myers