Aero-News Alert: Cirrus/BRS Chute Saves 4 Lives In Canada

Currently posted as ANN’s lead story…

http://www.aero-news.net/news/genav.cfm?ContentBlockID=2dac260e-d2cd-4c8a-b8df-78e81feaa3dd&Dynamic=1

Aero-News Alert: Cirrus/BRS Chute Saves 4 Lives In Canada
Updated Sat, 10 Apr '04

Details Sketchy So Far, BRS Chute Used At Night To Save 4

ANN has learned that a Cirrus Design parachute emergency system was used late yesterday in Canada to recover an aircraft in distress. Manufactured by BRS, the rocket propelled parachute recovery system was reportedly used on a flight from Kelowna, B.C. to Lethbridge, Alberta about 2115 local time.

Severe turbulence over mountains, at night, seem to be contributing factors to an emergency that occured to an SR20 that was carrying three adults and a child when the chute had to be deployed over the Monashee Mountains (note picture below of another Cirrus over the same territory… OUCH!).

Additional info, gathered from local media reports, suggests that the pilot experienced a loss of control as a result of the aforementioned severe turbulence and deployed the chute over the mountainous terrain. The aircraft impacted on a wooded hillside, at a 45 degree angle, in an area that was so remote, that they had to be helicoptered out. After reaching the ground, the pilot of the aircraft radioed aircraft overhead and directed his own rescue operations from the impact site. Damage to the aircraft is reported to be surprisingly limited.

Captain Jochen Dous of the Victoria Search and Rescue service confirmed that all four aboard were “uninjured” (outside of assorted bumps and bruises) and transported back to Kelowna, 45 miles away.

We’ll have more information as we receive it. This is the second actual emergency deployment of a certified BRS parachute system on a Cirrus Design airframe. [ANN Thanks Wyn Lewis for the use of the Monashee (center) photo and Mike Radomsky for the Cirrus test firing (bottom) photo].

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the update. I think that the terrain in the photo is more suitable for mountain-climbers than pilots.[:)]

Boy… no kidding! As one of the original test pilots during some of the BRS/Cessna chute tests (a great ride!), I didn’t think I could be more sold on this concept that I am right now. But the two real emergency incidents that have arisen, so far, are actually reinforcing my conviction that this is more than just a novel safety feature… but one that deserves to be adopted across the board.

Jim

In reply to:

As one of the original test pilots during some of the BRS/Cessna chute tests (a great ride!)

Jim,

That had to be a great ride!

In reply to:

But the two real emergency incidents that have arisen, so far, are actually reinforcing my conviction that this is more than just a novel safety feature… but one that deserves to be adopted across the board.

ThatÂ’s for sure! It will be exciting to see where the BRS is applied next.

It is going to be implemented in the Van’s RV series of aircraft. One of my client’s who has an RV let BRS use his airplane fuselage for the design and engineering tests.

Aaron,

Very interesting. That’s great! Hopefully other aircraft will follow suit.

In reply to:

Hopefully other aircraft will follow suit.

Interesting. Lancair pilots are notorious for saying that they wouldnÂ’t fly their planes with a BRS even if it was an option! Likely, this is their stance since it isnÂ’t an option. Maybe the folks in Bend will reconsider.

In reply to:

Likely, this is their stance since it isnÂ’t an option.

Casey,

I think you are exactly right. Let’s see how many Lancairs go out the factory door without a parachute if it is ever introduced as an option. I am sure that some Lancair pilots are sincere in their opinion, but I bet a lot of them would opt for a parachute if it was available.

My wife was not too hot on me buying a plane, when she saw the CAPS deploy on Discovery Wings she said “if you are going to buy a plane it will be that one.” Just did like a good husband and did what my wife told me. I guess Walt and are have our own club.

So, not only is CAPS an excellent safety device, but also a great “wife-convincer” device.[:)]

In reply to:

So, not only is CAPS an excellent safety device, but also a great “wife-convincer” device.

I came home from the AOPA conference in October '96 (in San Jose) with an armload of glossies, including an artist’s rendition of a CAPS deployment. “Buy that one,” she said, so I did. Took awhile for delivery though…

If only there was some kind of “mother convincer” out there. I’ve explained everything to my mom about the parachute but she still won’t get behind my buying a plane. She’s very upset at the thought of her granddaughter even flying in a light aircraft.

I can sort of understand where my mom is coming from. Her father flew a bonanza when she was young and would make her go on flights. She’d sit in the back hiding and crying the whole time just trying to be “daddy’s brave little girl”. She said she didn’t care if it came with an extra blimp attached to it, she just won’t go flying with me.

In reply to:

I came home from the AOPA conference in October '96 (in San Jose) with an armload of glossies, including an artist’s rendition of a CAPS deployment. “Buy that one,” she said, so I did. Took awhile for delivery though…

Dave,

Wow, that would make you a very early member of the Cirrus family. It must have been a hard wait!

Maybe instead of the somewhat controversial “Finally, something else with curves a man can trust” ad campaign, Cirrus should have said, “Finally, an airplane your wife can trust.”[:)]

In reply to:

Wow, that would make you a very early member of the Cirrus family. It must have been a hard wait!

s/n 1072, delivered October 2000. The wait was indeed difficult (and I questioned my sanity in dropping $15K into the local Fedex box outside of Safeway, which I still bow to whenever I go past.) Somewhere I have a thick file of glossies and magazine articles, as that’s all there was to look at. I also at one point sent a rather pointed letter Tom Shea (then VP of sales) asking that they at least occasionally talk to us, as there was basically no communication in those days (I got a very apologetic reply and then they started sending occasional newsletters.)

Finally got my demo ride in 204CD with Scott Anderson at AOPA '98, and then got another ride with him in Duluth in March of '99, sadly eight days before he was killed in s/n 1001.

The series of forums that preceded this one helped a lot with the delayed gratification…

In reply to:

s/n 1072, delivered October 2000. The wait was indeed difficult (and I questioned my sanity in dropping $15K into the local Fedex box outside of Safeway, which I still bow to whenever I go past.) Somewhere I have a thick file of glossies and magazine articles, as that’s all there was to look at. I also at one point sent a rather pointed letter Tom Shea (then VP of sales) asking that they at least occasionally talk to us, as there was basically no communication in those days (I got a very apologetic reply and then they started sending occasional newsletters.)

$15K for a few brochures and magazine articles? Those must have been printed on some really special glossy paper. [;)] I canÂ’t even imagine what it must have felt like to finally takeoff in your own Cirrus after waiting for so long!

In reply to:

Finally got my demo ride in 204CD with Scott Anderson at AOPA '98, and then got another ride with him in Duluth in March of '99, sadly eight days before he was killed in s/n 1001.

A very sad day that none of us will soon forget. [:(]

In reply to:

The wait was indeed difficult (and I questioned my sanity in dropping $15K into the local Fedex box outside of Safeway, which I still bow to whenever I go past.) Somewhere I have a thick file of glossies and magazine articles, as that’s all there was to look at.

Dave: Your wait was longer than mine. I ordered a SR20 when it was on the cover of AOPA Pilot, then changed the order to an SR22 (with a discount incentive from CD) and picked up 0148 in February of 2002.

I still drive by that Fedex box though. I have at least a thought if not a bow!

In reply to:

$15K for a few brochures and magazine articles? Those must have been printed on some really special glossy paper. I canÂ’t even imagine what it must have felt like to finally takeoff in your own Cirrus after waiting for so long!

Yeah, a friend of mine was ribbing me about my “$15K newsletter.” On the other hand, the base price of my SR20 was $144.5K, which after inflation adjustments and upgrade to all available options was still about $200K.The first solo flight reminded me of my first-ever solo in a 150; a definite feeling of “am I really doing this?” Let’s just say that it had been rehearsed many times. :wink:

Dont’t feel bad Rachel. I have been flying half of my life and my mother has never gone for a ride with me. I just do not tell her when I am flying but ALWAYS fly to visit her. Then she knows!

Rachel,

DonÂ’t worry about it too much. Almost every general aviation pilot I know has some close relative that isnÂ’t real excited about the fact that they fly small airplanes. If itÂ’s not a wife (invert the gender in your case [:)]), it might be a parent or close sibling.

The bright side in all of this is that your husband shares your interest. Count your blessings there! My grandpa, who was a “barnstormer” in the 1930’s, and then went on to be a WWII contract flight-instructor for the United States Army Air Corp/Force, all but left flying after he married my grandma who I don’t think really approved of his career. Of course, with the contraptions that filled the skies back then, maybe I shouldn’t blame her. When my dad became a pilot in the 1970s, I think my grandma took more of a “don’t ask, don’t tell” stance and pretty much avoided the subject of his flying.

In reply to:

I’ve explained everything [emphasis mine] to my mom about the parachute but she still won’t get behind my buying a plane. She’s very upset at the thought of her granddaughter even flying in a light aircraft.

You have done your part in explaining, so I think you will need to let your momÂ’s attitude come more in line with yours on her own time. Maybe you will never get her in the airplane with you (although we will all be pulling for you), but I donÂ’t think that it is unreasonable to assume that she will become much less hostile to your flying as she gets used to the idea. [:)]

Rachel: Like the ad says—JUST DO IT!!! [:)]