A great little trip in a great little plane!

I recently returned from a short trip with my better half. We left Minneapolis for Mackinac Island. A couple nights on the island was like going back in time. They have an airstrip, but no cars, just bikes and horse and buggy transportation – very cool place! Here’s what it looks like getting in (with the Mackinac bridge in the background) and a picture of our taxi:

On our way out of the airport, I spoke with a fellow that had just landed with his wife and another couple; he was still shaken from landing his Skylane on Rwy 26 (here’s why: METAR KMCD 091438Z AUTO 30012G31KT 10SM SCT028). It was no problem getting out of there with the Cirrus.

Then we went to Dayton, OH, which is home to the National Museum of the Air Force. The museum takes you through airplane development decade by decade, so you can really see how designs evolved.

In a special hanger, they have three retired Air Force Ones, two of which were piston powered, these planes served FDR through Reagan. FDR’s Douglas VC-54C, named “Sacred Cow” is the ship that took him to Yalta. It has an elevator to lift his wheelchair! Here’s a picture:

We entered the museum at 9am and had to rush to get out at their 5pm closing!

Although my wife is not interested in being a pilot, she has several thousand miles of Cirrus flying experience and she’s looking forward to our next trip as much as me! Before the Cirrus, she’d get in a plane with me, but never with much enthusiasm… I sure do like that SR22! [:)]

Paul

Paul,

Great post - the kind I like best… entertaining, nice photos, and has me just itching to go flying. It’s such a pity that N1MR is still in Annual [:(].

• Mike.

I flew to Mackinac Island this summer in a C-182 and admired the SR22s parked on the flight line. Great Vist well worth recommending to other pilots. Next time I’ll be in my new SR22G2 and let the 182’s admire me.

That is a great pirep. I would like to see a “Destinations” section on the COPA site for reports and photos like this.

Mike,

Here’s hoping your baby is out soon!

In reply to:

Mike,
Here’s hoping your baby is out soon!

Michael,

Thanks - she looks a little naked at the moment. [:(]

Mike: Is that masking tape they’re using on your “stinger” to protect it? I’m looking for suggestions for my SC.

In reply to:

Mike: Is that masking tape they’re using on your “stinger” to protect it? I’m looking for suggestions for my SC.

Gordon,

Yes.

When I picked up my SR20 four years ago, I asked to have the cowling removed. Cirrus techs put masking tape on the ‘stinger’, and on the trailing edge of the top of the spinner - they explained that it’s cheap insurance against scratches, and it doesn’t harm the paint.

I’ve used it, and insisted that others use it, ever since. In practice, the tape on the spinner has proven an unnecessary precaution (so far), but it’s clear that the tape on the stinger is really necessary for airplanes with the one-piece lower cowl shell - it’s nearly impossible to get that off or on without it dragging on that stinger.

Since then, I’ve become aware of blue masking tape - it may not even have been around four years ago. It’s expensive (for masking tape), but its glue is even more forgiving; so I’m switching to that.

• Mike.

[
" blue masking tape - it may not even have been around four years ago"

I think its known as painters masking tape as it comes off without taking the undercoat off. Been around for quite a while.

In reply to:

I think its known as painters masking tape as it comes off without taking the undercoat off. Been around for quite a while.

Richard,

Thanks.

I’d heard it called “painter’s masking tape” - I thought ALL masking tape is basically for painters! But now I know what to ask for.

• Mike.

In reply to:

I thought ALL masking tape is basically for painters! But now I know what to ask for.

• Mike.

No Mike. It’s not just for painters.
It also works very well to hold in the cotton ear plugs in flight, for dogs.

Isn’t it amazing that a thread about a trip to Mackinac Island has morphed into a thread about masking tape and dog ear plugs.

I agree—kinda reminds me of duct tape----you can use it for anything----even change a topic [;)]

Don Cislo said

In reply to:

That is a great pirep. I would like to see a “Destinations” section on the COPA site for reports and photos like this.

Thanks for the nice feedback (both Don & Mike)! Don, that’s a great idea… we kind of have that now, with the category “events/places”, but a “Destinations” forum would be more intimate (if that word can pertain to a bunch of macho Cirrus jocks getting together) [:$].

Is there any interest in a “Destinations” forum?

Paul

YES YES!!!

In reply to:

…but a “Destinations” forum would be more intimate (if that word can pertain to a bunch of macho Cirrus jocks getting together

Hmm, I’m feeling strangly uncomfortable already. [:D]

In reply to:

Don Cislo said
Thanks for the nice feedback (both Don & Mike)! Don, that’s a great idea… we kind of have that now, with the category “events/places”, but a “Destinations” forum would be more intimate (if that word can pertain to a bunch of macho Cirrus jocks getting together) .
Paul

Yes Yes Yes !!!

It would be great … but I thing the " Bandwith " is/was an issue – I was hoping for a MAP of the USA and a bunch of " Dots " which are clickable and include destination PIREPs and Service centers with their own " Dot’s " and associated evaluations. But I think there was a concern re: Bandwith.

Paul:

I would love to have one in the forum section. Since I have joined, I have forwarded applicable posts to my private ‘e’ address and placed them in a “Travel” file. I can then go back and search the area I might be traveling to and if there has been a previous post/suggestion.

I hope that we can get it too.

David Schwietert 203 RF PFD/TKS

In reply to:

Don Cislo said
Thanks for the nice feedback (both Don & Mike)! Don, that’s a great idea… we kind of have that now, with the category “events/places”, but a “Destinations” forum would be more intimate (if that word can pertain to a bunch of macho Cirrus jocks getting together) .
Paul

Until a new forum or web page is created, you can use the existing “Category” settings. Since there are “Events/Places” and “International” categories, you can screen the forums using those limitations & you will have a pretty good collection of Places.

In reply to:

Yes Yes Yes !!!
It would be great … but I thing the " Bandwith " is/was an issue – I was hoping for a MAP of the USA and a bunch of " Dots " which are clickable and include destination PIREPs and Service centers with their own " Dot’s " and associated evaluations. But I think there was a concern re: Bandwith.

Scott / all,

The ‘bandwidth’ issues have multiple dimensions:

• Bandwidth of our web-care-givers to create and maintain another forum. More than you might imagine - it takes quite a while to make even minor changes, given that we try hard to keep things so that most of our members like them.

• Screen-size-bandwidth: Whenever we add anything new, something falls off some users’ screens. This can be solved, but it adds to the development bandwidth mentioned above.

• Focus bandwidth - each new forum means more forums to open and read. In fact, the “Category” system was intended to solve this dilemma by providing for a way to filter for posts on a particular topics. For example, “Desinations” would fall under the “Events/Places” category. This thread itself falls under that category. Another facet is the fact that Destinations is not in any way Cirrus-specific - there are many places on the web one can go to read about cool destinations to go to in G.A. airplanes, and those sites are fed by a much greater population. I’d argue the same way if someone proposed that we add a forum to talk about fuel prices, or airpark communities, etc.

Oddly, the one ‘bandwidth’ issue that I don’t think is a big factor is the data-bandwidth issue - the information itself will take bandwidth regardless of how or where it is posted.

Some of our web offerings that have taken a lot of work to develop wind up being underutilized, to put it kindly. Examples are our COPA Chat rooms and our Service Center Ratings system. So I’m very sensitive to adding any new feature.

However, I’ve noted is the fact the the Category system seems less than successful for many. Also noted is this request for a Destinations Forum. We’ll re-evaluate the former and consider the latter.

• Mike.