2005 Aircraft Deliveries

GAMA has published their 2004 aircraft sales numbers. Here are the results for single engine piston sales:
Cessna (all SE) 654 33%
Cessna (4 seats) 565 28.3%
Cirrus Design 553 27.7%
Diamond 261 13%
Piper (all SE) 127 6%
American Champ. 94 5%
Lancair 78 4%
Bonanza 62 3%
Piper (4 Seats) 49 3%
Aviat 42 2%
Mooney 37 2%
Tiger 19 1%
Socata 5 0.3%
Cessna nosed out Cirrus unless you only consider normally aspirated, 4 seat SE piston aircraft. But Cirrus Design’s production has exceed 2 planes per day! Diamond made an exceptional showing jumping into third place. Especially notable are the sales of their DA-40, 4 seat plane, which accounted for 75% of their total sales.

Piper was in fourth unless you only look at 4 seat models and then they were 7th. American Champion was 5th, a solid showing for these tail draggers. This seems to validate that there are a lot of folks eschewing the new, high tech models for simpler, cheaper aircraft that are more appropriate for dirt strips and $100 hamburgers, than hauling the family half way across the country or business trips.

Lancair has moved up in sales and total volume to 6th with 78 sales. That was about 1.5 planes per week. They’ve past the stalwart Beech Bonanza. All great news for them. Given the recent articles about their expanding production, I expect to see them in 4th or 5th place next year.

It is interesting to note that ‘plastic planes’ account for about 45% of the market (almost 50% of the 2-4 seat market). No doubt about it, the plastic generation is here to stay.

Great job by Alan K. and the Duluth crew increasing production and innovating at the same time.

On a very sad note, Commander Aircraft and Belanca were not mentioned. One can only wonder how much longer Mooney, who has been in bankruptcy more times than J-Lo has been married, Tiger & Socata can continue.

Where is the Maule, im sure they are still in buisness

In reply to:

One can only wonder how much longer Mooney, who has been in bankruptcy more times than J-Lo has been married, Tiger & Socata can continue.

I believe Socata has suspended production of their piston aircraft, and are just producing TBM-700’s and contract manufacturing.

In reply to:

On a very sad note, Commander Aircraft and Belanca were not mentioned. One can only wonder how much longer Mooney, who has been in bankruptcy more times than J-Lo has been married, Tiger & Socata can continue.

I agree that it is sad… Commander (who really did make a nice airplane) has gone from bankruptcy to liquidation:
http://www.generalaviationnews.com/editorial/articledetail.lasso?-token.key=11071&-token.src=index&-nothing

Paul

In reply to:

Robert,

Yes they are. Maule delivered 27 airplanes in 2004. Here is a link to the full GAMA report (it’s PDF format). [:)]

In reply to:

Robert: Yea, they’re there, but at 27 units, they weren’t too relevant, at least in my opinion.

Maule isn’t an industry leader, a fallen former leader, nor do they compete with Cirrus. Lastly, their numbers contained no surprises. I really didn’t think too many readers would be that interested. Sorry for the lack of completeness.

It is a fact they stoped making the TB-9/tb10/tb20/ tb21 They say they are revapng and trying to get there cost down to be more cost effective. Wonder why at 430,000.00 for a tb20 and no pfd, no TKS add 30,000 on To the tb20 for that.Only 164 knots and really 160 is the norm. No chute. I really like the trinidad but the Cirrus is amuch better value. If it wernt tor the rivets and sheet metel the trinidad would look as good. But dont forget you have to put the gear up and down. It will set 3 in the back with optional 3rd seat belt & it is legal. I many times took 4 kids on flights to ceder point. Don

In reply to:

I many times took 4 kids on flights to ceder point. Don

Don,

I was going to say that’s a long way to travel from Las Vegas for an amusement park, but then I remembered that you live in Michigan sometimes, as well. [:)]

In reply to:

trying to get there cost down to be more cost effective. Wonder why at 430,000.00 for a tb20 and no pfd, no TKS add 30,000 on To the tb20 for that

Umm, try a strong Euro, a 35 hour work-week, and an inflexible labor force?

In reply to:

Umm, try a strong Euro, a 35 hour work-week, and an inflexible labor force?

Curt,

This image from the Netherlands suggest that they’re more flexible than you might think!

Cheers,
Roger