Where is best FBO in FLL /Miami area??

Heading into south florida for meeting. Where is the best FBO to fly into? Can anyone suggest an IFR route to file that ATC will actually accept CAF from Mobile? Also what are the fees for landing and staying a week in your favorite FBO:)

I liked and recommend TMB much better than OPF or FXE. I used Reliance on the 9R side of the field because I was hangared there, but you can get less expensive self-serve fuel on the 9L side of the field at AirSal. Reliance will probably give you my discount if you tell them Vanessa said it would be OK. The new FalconTrust (9R) is supposed ot be really nice but I have not seen it. I have not heard good things about the other FBOs on the field.

MIA will be too expensive and too much of a hassle if you are doing anything more than dropping or picking up a passenger.

If you can figure out the best way to get to the CTY vor from Mobile, I am ALWAYS given the following route South of CTY…

V-521 to LBV,
V-529 to the V-35 intersection (this is actually the WORPP intersection and you can use WORPP for your 430s flight plan, but ATC will not accept it if you call it that)
V-35 to to the CURVE intersection,
then direct KTMB.

Miami approach on 125.5 will be your last hand-off before Tamiami tower on 118.9. The tower at Tamiami has some great controllers and they understand how to merge Cirrus into their Cessna traffic.

If you have time, go to NEMOs resturant near South Beach - one of our favorites.

Have fun, Steve.

In reply to:

Heading into south florida for meeting. Where is the best FBO to fly into? Can anyone suggest an IFR route to file that ATC will actually accept CAF from Mobile? Also what are the fees for landing and staying a week in your favorite FBO:)

Chuck: It depends upon where you are going, what your are flying and what services you need.

In the FLL area, I like Banyan at FXE (Ft. Lauderdale Exec). It is located at the SE corner of the field and has about all the services you need. They are friendly and while clearly offer quality services to jet operators, still like us little guys. they have an nice courtesy van, which is usually available.

They offer full services for planes flying to the Bahamas, but if that is your reason for stopping, I’d suggest the FBO at Ft. Pierce. They have a nice restaurant next door (“The Tiki Hut”), convenient customs for the return and no one does a better job with the forms, life saving gear, etc.

If you want to go a bit further south, try “Miami Aviation” at OPF (Opa Locka). They are Columbian owned, clearly bilingual, but fairly decent folks. This airport is NW of MIA. I’ve flow to the Bahamas with them a few times and they bought my old FBO in Louisville, KY as well (small world).

If you need to go even further south, Dennis can (and probably will) give you an answer about Miami-Kendall.

I’d recommend staying away from MIA just for the cost. All the FBOs have rampo fees and huge fuel prices.

As far as routes, if you are flying into the FLL or WPB area, expect to fly over PHK VOR or come down the coast.

Chuck;
Your query covers a bunch of turf. Miami / Ft. Lauderdale has about 10 airports of which only MIA charges a landing fee, so it really depends on where you want to end up.

Your question has been asked and discussed on several occasions. A review of the “search” function should bring up those discussions both on the members & non-members side.

As far as “route” goes, it depends whether you mind flying over water. The direct routing puts you in Miami in about 3 hrs. (assuming you are flying sn SR-22)
Please search through the forum and if you still have questions, let’m fly.

As Marty said, expect PHK VOR, although it is out of service it is still used as a waypoint coming south.

Hay Chuck;
How come you’ve got an SR20-G2, you are a CFI, but you aren’t a member of COPA?

In reply to:

As Marty said, expect PHK VOR, although it is out of service it is still used as a waypoint coming south.

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up. (Although, I’m sure that I’d just use the GPS anyway[:$].)

In reply to:

Hay Chuck;
How come you’ve got an SR20-G2, you are a CFI, but you aren’t a member of COPA?

Dennis,

Not to answer for Chuck… but if you look at his “record”, you’ll see that the OTHER 46 times he posted, he WAS a member. In fact, his membership expired only recently - it’s quite possible he just hasn’t gotten around to renewing; in any event, as a former-member, he has his eyes wide open!

• Mike.