When to use the chute

Think before using the chute - i have been told that the chute works up to a speed of 130 kts vne and the descent rate is approx. 7 m / s. That is very high and what happens to the people in the plane at that high descent rate ??

Cirrus says the plane will be destroyed, but the passengers will walk away (albeit probably saying “Whew! I sure wouldn’t like to do THAT again!”

The chute should only be used in extremis, IMHO. But in extremis I wouldn’t hesitate to use it for fear of bending the aircraft or maybe getting a back strain.

Early ejection seats were iffy affairs too (I remember an instructor, when telling us how to use them, said “First, put your back in the position you want if for the rest of your life, then pull the handle.”) But that sure beat the alternative!

YMMV.

Joe

(Former Position Holder)

Think before using the chute - i have been told that the chute works up to a speed of 130 kts vne and the descent rate is approx. 7 m / s. That is very high and what happens to the people in the plane at that high descent rate ??

Which is why the POH warns that use of the chute could result in death or injury. However, the seats in the SR20 are certified to FAR23 standards, which amongst other things means that a 19G vertical impact should not apply more pressure to the spine of the occupant than a specified number (forget what it is offhand).

As others here have pointed out, this is a last resort - it’s like an air bag - I would not hesitate to use it if the alternative was hitting something hard at 70 knots (36 m/s). That’s 9 times as fast, 81 times the energy to dissipate.

(I remember an instructor, when telling us how to use them, said “First, put your back in the position you want if for the rest of your life, then pull the handle.”)

Reminds me of a comment I heard from someone on the use of ejection seats in fighter jets. He said that it’s important to tuck your legs in… “otherwise, they get cut off at the knees as you eject, and it STINGS”.

:wink:

Mike.