Cps

I am interested in purchasing a SR22 GTS? A plane went down in Nordeen Ca. The Caps was activated and did not work because it was deployed above limits. If the limits are 133KIAS and the SR22 goes 180KIAS, what the use of having Caps and is there some type of airbrake or do you just fly around 133KIAS. Please I am new to aviation. This is a serious question I need answered for my decision on purchasing an aircraft. Thank you for your time.

The Cirrus that went down in California at high speed was well over redline at the time (IFR and iced-up). In all other instances, the chute has worked as advertised and everyone walked away unhurt. In most cases where you would want to pull the chute (engine failure over mountains or water with no place to land) there is no problem slowing it down. In others (like a mid-air where you only have part of an airplane) - at least the chute is an option. In any othr plane, that option is not available at all.

In reply to:

I am interested in purchasing a SR22 GTS? A plane went down in Nordeen Ca. The Caps was activated and did not work because it was deployed above limits. If the limits are 133KIAS and the SR22 goes 180KIAS, what the use of having Caps and is there some type of airbrake or do you just fly around 133KIAS. Please I am new to aviation. This is a serious question I need answered for my decision on purchasing an aircraft. Thank you for your time.

Joe; If, as you say, you are interested in buying any Cirrus, you would do well to invest in the $50 to become a member in COPA. Your question is answered many times over, as well as a thousand questions that you have not yet asked.
But since you are not a member, I will give you the short answer. You don’t pull the chute with the peddle to the metal.
You must first look at the environment when the chute would even be necessary. Lost engine, lost body part, gross disorientation. You are right. It’s not a speed brake. It’s not intended to be a speed brake.
Simply put, when in one of the above situations, you pull the throttle, (assuming the engine is running) slow the plane, pull the chute.
There are well over 1000 posts on the members side of the forum disucssing these concepts.
Join
Use the search function liberally.
Learn
Recognize that the vast majority of Cirrus owners are escentially happy and fly safely.
If you are new to aviation, start with the premise that spending $445k on an airplane, does not make you a good pilot. Education and understanding does. Put your money back in your pocket until you know, very well, what you are buying. Take some lessons, talk to people.
Feel free to call me 305 256 3002. I have owned both an SR20 and currently own a loaded SR22.
Knowledge first

In reply to:

Joe,
At typical cruise altitudes, your indicated airspeed will be pretty close to that 133 KIAS even though your true airspeed is 180 KTAS. Chances are, the chute will work OK up to the redline of 201 knots and probably past that. This is speculation, but the guy that took-off into the mountains at night in known severe-icing conditions probably had plenty of time to pull the chute. The problem is that it appears he waited until just before hitting the trees in a reported 300+ knot dive. Under those circumstances, of course the parachute didn’t help! Like Roy says, at least the chute’s an option to use in the Cirrus. Like any safety device though, it won’t save us from ourselves every time. The best safety devices are still good judgment and proficiency.

Take a very close look at the SR22, because it is a great airplane to fly and own! [:)]