Wheel Chocks

I noticed in the pictures of the SBP fly-in, that at least some of the SR2x’s have the front wheel chocked. Does that really work for a castering front wheel, or would the wheel just rotate 90 degrees and off you go? I thought that for these airplanes it was better to chock the mains. Any experience?

Konrad

It wasn’t particularly windy, only 5-10kts.

I’ve been told by other CD and Tiger owners that it’s sufficient to chock the nose wheel, if you do it very tightly.

I have a pair of “travel chocks” which actually have a bungee cord that keeps them tight against the wheels.

On a windy day, I would have tied it down or chocked both mains instead.

Paul

Nobody chocks both mains, but we always do even on our Archer. Sounds like an even better idea on a castering nosewheel.

I noticed in the pictures of the SBP fly-in, that at least some of the SR2x’s have the front wheel chocked. Does that really work for a castering front wheel, or would the wheel just rotate 90 degrees and off you go? I thought that for these airplanes it was better to chock the mains. Any experience?

Konrad

The Choc-It folding wheel chocks are available from http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catmain.php?dest=cathome.html>(800) 824-1930; or go directly to the [ Fold Down Mini Chocs .

Price is listed as $18.40.

Mike.](http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/minichocks.php)

I’ve been told by other CD and Tiger owners that it’s sufficient to chock the nose wheel, if you do it very tightly.
I got a really neat set of wheel chocks as a gift. They’re aluminum, and fold up into a really tiny, lightweight, flat package that you could easily put in your shirt pocket. I find it hard to imagine how if these are tucked tightly in front and behind the nosewheel, that the airplane could go anywhere; although, as Paul pointed out, if it is or might be very windy, it’s best to tie down.
The chocks I got are called “Choc-It”, and they’re made by SKS. Since they were a gift, I don’t know where they can be obtained - I’ll try to find out, but if anyone beats me to it, please post the info. I have put a copy of the little blurb that comes with them on my Photo Site. Use an ID of mikerad and a password of SR20 (case sensitive). The photo is on photo index page 2.

• Mike.

A thought, FWIW. Even on calm days, chocking the mains rather than the nose wheel may be the preferred approach, since airports have their own special sources of focused and destructive “wind” in the form of either propeller or jet induced “wind” that have been known to blow things around a bit. Better safe than sorry.
Cheers to all,
Pete

I got a really neat set of wheel chocks as a gift. They’re aluminum, and fold up into a really tiny, lightweight, flat package that you could easily put in your shirt pocket. I find it hard to imagine how if these are tucked tightly in front and behind the nosewheel, that the airplane could go anywhere; although, as Paul pointed out, if it is or might be very windy, it’s best to tie down.

The chocks I got are called “Choc-It”, and they’re made by SKS. Since they were a gift, I don’t know where they can be obtained - I’ll try to find out, but if anyone beats me to it, please post the info. I have put a copy of the little blurb that comes with them on my Photo Site. Use an ID of mikerad and a password of SR20 (case sensitive). The photo is on photo index page 2.

• Mike.

Hi folks,
Thanks to Mike (ace photographer and Web guru - wow!) for posting this info. According to http://www.anywho.com/, the firm that makes “Choc-It” is
L W SPIRO & ASSOC
18251 Matterhorn Drive
Tehachapi, CA 93561-0765
(661) 822-9688
If someone gives them a ring, perhaps they could let the forum know about price and availability.
Cheers,
Roger
PS - It was great meeting so many of you at San Luis Obispo on Sunday! Can’t wait until we can fly our SR20 to one of these fly-ins. We’ll be among “the few, the proud, the ‘A’ configuration airplanes.”

• Mike.

Having owned both a Grumman Tiger and now the SR20 over some years, I can tell you that do as Paul says … chock the nose in most “normal” conditions, but do it tightly. The plane can weather vane unlike those planes with steerable nose wheels. However, when in doubt tie it down.

Just an FYI – the personalized wheel chocks from Sporty’s (we got the bright yellow aluminum ones - I don’t remember the part number) do not fit the SR20 because of the wheel pants – fortunately, we were able to return ours and get a full refund.

Just an FYI – the personalized wheel chocks from Sporty’s (we got the bright yellow aluminum ones - I don’t remember the part number) do not fit the SR20 because of the wheel pants – fortunately, we were able to return ours and get a full refund.

I have the yellow chocks from Sporty’s and they fit fine. Have you checked your tire pressures lately?

Bill

Nobody chocks both mains, but we always do even on our Archer. Sounds like an even better idea on a castering nosewheel.

???

I’ve always chocked both mains when I’ve had to resort to chocking, and this has been with Pipers and Cessnas. Was this incorrect?

Tom

Konrad

I’ve always chocked both mains when I’ve had to resort to chocking, and this has been with Pipers and Cessnas. Was this incorrect?

Tom

Tom,

More is safer, more secure. Nobody can fault you for chocking both mains AND the nosewheel, if you want to.

There is less likelihood of a steerable nosewheel airplane moving with only the nosewheel chocked than there would be with a Cirrus, Tiger or any airplane with a free-castering nosewheel.

Tie down when you can - that’s the best of all.

Mike.