Nose Wheel Shimmy Prevention

I’m wondering if any of you more experienced SR20 flyers might have some tips about avoiding nose wheel shimmy during full-stop landings.

In practicing landings, I’ve noticed an occassional (it doesn’t happen every time) tendancy for the the SR20’s nose wheel to shimmy side-to-side almost violently when I slow the plane to a full stop. It hasn’t happened during a touch-and-go, only when I get below 50 knots or so, and it doesn’t stop until I get below about 10 knots. Full back pressure helps only a little and hard or light braking makes no difference. I have nightmarish visions of the nose strut breaking and the prop striking (ugh).

Any tips appreciated. TIA.

I’m wondering if any of you more experienced SR20 flyers might have some tips about avoiding nose wheel shimmy during full-stop landings.

Assuming you’re under warranty, this sounds like something to have the factory take a look at. Pete

In practicing landings, I’ve noticed an occassional (it doesn’t happen every time) tendancy for the the SR20’s nose wheel to shimmy side-to-side almost violently when I slow the plane to a full stop. It hasn’t happened during a touch-and-go, only when I get below 50 knots or so, and it doesn’t stop until I get below about 10 knots. Full back pressure helps only a little and hard or light braking makes no difference. I have nightmarish visions of the nose strut breaking and the prop striking (ugh).

Any tips appreciated. TIA.

Assuming you’re under warranty, this sounds like something to have the factory take a look at. Pete

I was hoping it was simply caused by some sort of lacking technique on my part… (easier to fix)

Yep, this isn’t normal. I’ve never had any indication of shimmy myself. Coincidentally, there’s a new SB for all SR20s up to s/n 1099 for possibly insufficient nose gear strut nut torque (say that five times fast). It calls for replacing and retorquing the bolts on planes with no shimmy or visible elongation, and possibly reaming and adding oversize bushings if wear is present. All under warranty, of course.

I was hoping it was simply caused by some sort of lacking technique on my part… (easier to fix)

The simplest cause may be nosewheel tire inflation. If that doesn’t do it, then I’d take it up with the nearest Cirrus Service Center as indicated in the SB Dave referenced above.
FWIW, correcting tire inflation eliminated most of the shimmy on my plane but I still have a touch of it. Next time I’m in for an oil change I’m going to have the mechanics take a look at it again vis a vis the SB. If it does require attention, the SB estimates nearly 2 full days of labor to correct it, thankfully, under warranty.