Weights, Loads, Etc.

Cirrus salesman Tom Bergeron took me up in the SR20 last week, in Palm Spring. Bouncing around the desert thermals isn’t too much fun, but the SR20 is a champ.

The SR20’s only weakness — but it’s a big one if you live in the South or Southwest — is its useful load. By comparison, earlier that day my CFI, wife and mother-in-law had just flown up in my A36 Bonanza to Big Bear Lake (MSL: 6,700 feet) from Palm Springs. On nearly full tanks and against sweltering 8,500-ft. density altitude, we had no trouble getting aloft. Down at 500-foot Palm Springs, though, Tom B., who was eyeing worriedly his full tanks and the 105-degree temps, wouldn’t allow both my wife and mother-in-law aboard for the demo ride. To add salt to this wound, we taxied to the runway with the gullwing doors flapping wide open to get air. It barely helped.

Comparing the SR20 to a Bonanza isn’t fair, unless you’re comparing a $200,000 used Bonanza (1988 or so) with a new SR20. Still, I was struck by the drastic difference in useful loads. I hope Cirrus wins its fight to add another 100 pounds of useful load to the SR20. The SR22’s bigger engine will help, of course. Load, more than speed, will be the SR22’s true virtue. Four adults with suitcases, full tanks, hot day or mountains (or both) . . . go as you please. That’s the dream, anyway.

I had a hard time deciding which plane to buy - and mostly because of waiting time (and lack of Danish Certification) I finally decieded on the Socata TB-20 - and not the SR20. (http://www.socata.com)

The TB-20 is an allmost full-fuel and full-pax plane with a range of 1100nm. I know the TB-20 is a bit more expensive than the SR-20, but I got it allready S even though I ordered it 2 weeks ago. The Bonanza was also on my shortlist - but a bit to expensive for me right now… :wink: I still watch the SR-20 forum though…

Comparing the SR20 to a Bonanza isn’t fair, unless you’re comparing a $200,000 used Bonanza (1988 or so) with a new SR20. Still, I was struck by the drastic difference in useful loads. I hope Cirrus wins its fight to add another 100 pounds of useful load to the SR20. The SR22’s bigger engine will help, of course. Load, more than speed, will be the SR22’s true virtue. Four adults with suitcases, full tanks, hot day or mountains (or both) . . . go as you please. That’s the dream, anyway.

I had a hard time deciding which plane to buy - and mostly because of waiting time (and lack of Danish Certification) I finally decieded on the Socata TB-20 - and not the SR20. (http://www.socata.com)

The TB-20 is an allmost full-fuel and full-pax plane with a range of 1100nm. I know the TB-20 is a bit more expensive than the SR-20, but I got it allready S even though I ordered it 2 weeks ago. The Bonanza was also on my shortlist - but a bit to expensive for me right now… :wink: I still watch the SR-20 forum though…

Agreed, although i went for the (turbo) TB21 for the high elevation (Aspen) power. According to Socata, they will have the Diesel in a couple of

years AND it will retrofit the avgas engine.

Not so agile as SR20 but rock solid.

high altitude