Web Site Update


Just a quick update - I realize that at times over the last couple days the website has been EXTREMELY slow – even slower than it has occasionally been over the last few weeks.

I’ve spent considerable time investigating the problem and I think I’m starting to understand what’s going wrong. I’d like to ask your patience for just a couple more weeks for me to make sure I understand the issues and to try to come up with a solution.

I would anticipate that by mid-June or so, we should be running quite well again.


P.S. As part of my looking around, I took a look at our usage. You might be interested to know that from May 1 to May 29, there were 1.5 million hits** and 9 GB of data transfered. The exact daily average was about 51,000 hits and 307 MB per day.

**“hit” here means a visit to ANY page on our site. So a single “visit” will result in multiple “hits” as the user will typically view multiple posts, etc.

I would be curious if you find that most of the hits come during business hours which shows how the internet is contributing to American productivity. (Please take this as a joke guys). I am curious about the statistics however.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Hi Steve,

I’ve been getting the following message several times in the past couple days.

"Please contact the server administrator, copa@pair.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

Walt N224AZ