(very) Basic questions about FADEC

Hoping someone savy out there can answer a few basic questions for this simple-minded guy:

1. Easy starting. Does that mean you don’t have to prime the engine anymore? Be interested to hear how that works.

2. In flight monitoring. I get the basic idea, a computer does the work I do in my 260SE with a JPI - leaning, adjusting… I also assume somehow it knows when to run rich of peak or lean of peak, or some combination depending on engine wear. Here’s what I don’t get – will it run at highest power fuel flow, longest life? Or is it that all these concepts are moot now? Like an automotive engine - it just goes. I could get used to that.

Also

What is the failsafe mechanism? Assume the unit goes down - will there still be a way to manually lean at least until you can land? I’d hate to be in IMC somewhere and not have some manual option and be sitting thinking of a $30K overhaul getting closer with each minute. Then again, I may just be clinging to old ideas…

Dean

PS - no point in asking what the time table for this in the SR 22 is, right? I keep reading, “soon.”

Dean,

Try www.fadec.com. The site gives a pretty good picture of what FADEC will do. And, no, to my knowledge there is no ‘manual’ override.

Chris

Hoping someone savy out there can answer a few basic questions for this simple-minded guy:

1. Easy starting. Does that mean you don’t have to prime the engine anymore? Be interested to hear how that works.
  1. In flight monitoring. I get the basic idea, a computer does the work I do in my 260SE with a JPI - leaning, adjusting… I also assume somehow it knows when to run rich of peak or lean of peak, or some combination depending on engine wear. Here’s what I don’t get – will it run at highest power fuel flow, longest life? Or is it that all these concepts are moot now? Like an automotive engine - it just goes. I could get used to that.

Also

What is the failsafe mechanism? Assume the unit goes down - will there still be a way to manually lean at least until you can land? I’d hate to be in IMC somewhere and not have some manual option and be sitting thinking of a $30K overhaul getting closer with each minute. Then again, I may just be clinging to old ideas…

Dean

PS - no point in asking what the time table for this in the SR 22 is, right? I keep reading, “soon.”