Vacuum Pumps

Last year there was a high percentage of folks reporting high rates of vacuum pump failures on their new Sr20 planes with Walt Conley leading the pack with 6 failures in only 300 hours. I have not seen a single post in a long time on this issue.

Has the problem been solved? Are there no reports because only SR22s are coming out now with no vacuum systems? Would like to hear from the current SR20 ownerns how their pumps are NOW holding up.

Brian

170 hours…‘still going’! Maybe mine has the rabbit bateries!

Last year there was a high percentage of folks reporting high rates of vacuum pump failures on their new Sr20 planes with Walt Conley leading the pack with 6 failures in only 300 hours. I have not seen a single post in a long time on this issue.

Has the problem been solved? Are there no reports because only SR22s are coming out now with no vacuum systems? Would like to hear from the current SR20 ownerns how their pumps are NOW holding up.

Brian

N747TG had a vacuum pump failure at 130 hrs total service (just 6 hrs after crossing the Atlantic). Cirrus provided a new pump within 24 hrs; exchange was easy, and since then no problems (40 hrs on the new pump).

Timm Preusser N747TG

Brian

No vacuum problem in 135 hours, fwiw.

Brian

N98CR now has 222 hours and no Vacuum pump
failure. (two blade prop) No engine start problems either. Hot or Cold, Summer or winter. (with symtec heater). Just a fantastic beautiful airplane that wants more time in the air. Just filled up in Centerville, Iowa for $2.00/ gal.!!! Plan to stop there on your way to or from Oshkosh.

Brian

Has the problem been solved?

No, it has not. VH-CRF has had four vacuum pump failures in 540 hours flight time (about 650 on the Hobbs meter). The most recent failure was last week, and that pump had about 100 hours on it. I also know Walt’s plane has lost at least 7 in a similar number of hours, and the Cirrus demonstrator in Australia has had several failures. See my separate post about 2 blade props.

Vacuum pump

Failed at 94 hours. Drive shaft sheared - my shop tells me that this is THE common failure mode. No more failures (206 hours total now). SR20, 3-blade prop.

Landing light

1st failure - at delivery, 5 hours.

2nd failure - 25 hours on the light; used only in preflight testing.

Landing light #3 is still going strong after 176 hours (on the light, not the airplane), and I’ve used it extensively.

Flap relay

UP relay (only) failed at 34 hours. No trouble since.

• Mike.

155 hours - no failure

255DD: A-model with 2-blade prop. Failed after 165 hours (Hobbs) during the unusual attitudes under the hood portion of my BFR…gotta love that backup system.

Brian

Maybe the problem IS solved! Any others?

Brian

Brian

Maybe the problem IS solved! Any others?

Brian

320 hours on mine and so far, no failures.
Why do I feel like I just jinxed myself?

Failed… during the unusual attitudes… gotta love that backup system.

Most people feel that way - it’s not an unusual attitude at all! :slight_smile:

Mike.