Tracking Flights

Quite a while ago someone posted a link to a website where you could track flights across the US. I’ve been looking for this link again so my wife can see where I’m at, but no success. Does anyone have the website by chance?

In reply to:

Quite a while ago someone posted a link to a website where you could track flights across the US. I’ve been looking for this link again so my wife can see where I’m at, but no success. Does anyone have the website by chance?

Paul,

There are several available. AOPA offers a product called Flight Explorer (link available if you’re an AOPA member). Price is $8.95/month for 10 hours of use.

• Mike.

Paul,

Here is the direct link to Flight Explorer personal edition. It is $9.95 per month. A number of years ago I had a demo of their fully featured version and quickly became completely addicted to it. With my computer and a pair of binoculars, I spent hours every day spotting aircraft, guessing where they were headed, and then running to my computer to see if I was right. It was amazing to be able to finally know (after wondering for years and years) where the airplanes in the flight-levels over my house were coming from and going. Fortunately, I could not afford the $500.00 or so per month service-cost (they have since moved to a tiered pricing/feature system) otherwise I might have never ended up flying a Cirrus as I would be too busy being an airplane watcher as opposed to an “airplane flyer.”[:)]

Thanks everyone. I hope I don’t get too addicted as I still want to actually do the flying.

Hope to see everyone in Duluth at M2.

Andy,
I’m even worse than you. I turn on Flight Explorer and go to the page I’ve configured for Chicago. I listen to approach on a VHF handheld and watch the targets comply with the instructions.
It really is addictive and also, as a practical issue, lets you see how the TRACON handles arrivals and departures at the primary airport as well as the satellite fields. The more you see it in action the more things make sense.

In reply to:

The more you see it in action the more things make sense.

Jerrold,

Very true. I figured out that the reason I get a number of big-boys flying over my house (8 miles south of Madison, WI) at about 10,000 ft. headed for Chicago every day is because ZAU tends to route trans-Pacific (Asia) flights over or close to the Duluth VOR which puts them near my house as they enter southern Wisconsin.

In an unbelievable coincidence that happened when I was using Flight Explorer, I spotted a Korean Air 747 that was headed for Chicago and didnÂ’t think any more of it. That same day, my family and I left for Toronto, Canada, because my dad had a conference there. The next day, as I was sitting in the hotel lobby of the Regal Constellation (which was a spectacular airplane watching hotel as it closely overlooked the short-final approach path for CYYZ), an Asian crew came walking in to check-in. Somehow, we got to talking and I found out that this crew was from the exact airplane that I had seen fly over my house (500 miles away) the day before. It turns out that they had an overnight in Chicago, and then flew to Toronto the next day where I saw them at the hotel. The Chicago to Toronto hop had something to do with cargo whereas the Seoul to Chicago flight was passengers. I think the aircraft was a 747 Combi. Anyway, it was one of those things that makes you realize how “small” the aviation world is.

Andy,
Most likely they’re heading towards KRENA intersection to join the Janesville STAR.

In reply to:

Most likely they’re heading towards KRENA intersection to join the Janesville STAR.

Jerrold,

This is probably right because every once in awhile when I am flying into Waukegan I’ll get a big one passing over me as I am near KRENA.

In reply to:

Thanks everyone. I hope I don’t get too addicted as I still want to actually do the flying.
Hope to see everyone in Duluth at M2.

Paul,

We can always start an AA type group if we have to. For that matter, maybe we should already have one set up for our flying addiction.