Tiger for sale

I’ve heard it from lots of different people – the closest airplane to a Cirrus SR20 is a Grumman Tiger.

If you are waiting for your SR20/SR22 and want to fly now, check out:

http://www.dsiatl.com/tiger

I’ve heard it from lots of different people – the closest airplane to a Cirrus SR20 is a Grumman Tiger.

David,

You obviouslyt hadn’t seen the SR20, flown it or otherwise to compare it the plane you posted.

I think what was said is that the nose wheel (castering) is just like a tiger. I think it ends there:-} Good luck with the sale…Ed

You obviouslyt hadn’t seen the SR20, flown it or otherwise to compare it the plane you posted.

Curious comment - the Tiger is similar in a few respects to the SR20, but the most significant are the castoring nosewheel, and the landing characteristics. Cessna drivers seem to have trouble learning to land the SR20, whereas Tiger drivers don’t. In both the Sr20 and the Tiger, the basic technique is flare quite late, assume the attitude, and wait.

And yes, I have flown both aircraft quite extensively.

David,

Actually, I have flown an SR20. My wife and I went to Duluth last August, got a complete factory tour, and spent 15 minutes flying an SR20. I wish my flight were longer.

I talked to the CFI responsible for SR20 checkouts at Elite Airshares in Atlanta last Friday, and he said that Tiger pilots have very little trouble transitioning to the plane.

It was none other that Walt 415WM himself who originally compared the SR20 to the Tiger.

They are similiar, not only in ground-handling and in the flare, but also, I think, is rate of roll and crispness of controls.

Of course no one is saying that the overall experience is the same. Tigers are decades behing the curve, and can’t offer the value/performance/luxury of a Cirrus.

I think the point was more like “if you can’t afford or get your hands on a Cirrus - here’s plane that flies like it, albeit not as nice”

Cheers,

Dean

I have over 500 hours in a Tiger and too few landings (4) landings in a SR20. But, I found the ground handling and flaring to be extremely similair. The Tiger is also a clean airframe and can teach a lot of the approach behaviors I think you are going to need in a Cirrus. At least I hope so, am leaving tues to pick up mine and hope the biggest transition challenge is the avionics not the flaring :wink:

Curious comment - the Tiger is similar in a few respects to the SR20, but the most significant are the castoring nosewheel, and the landing characteristics. Cessna drivers seem to have trouble learning to land the SR20, whereas Tiger drivers don’t. In both the Sr20 and the Tiger, the basic technique is flare quite late, assume the attitude, and wait.

And yes, I have flown both aircraft quite extensively.

David, good luck selling the Tiger. It would appear that you left yourself some room to negotiate in your asking price!

Dean, you are right I did spout off. I’ve read a number of the posts regarding the Tiger and without getting into who’s-is-bigger I can tell you I do have some experience in both airplanes and there are indeed a number of things about the two airplanes that are similar. Here are a few:

Landing Gear: Of course the castering nose wheel, but the main gear is also similar as both are composite material and quite forgiving on hard landings.

Ground handling: Both require that the tires be properly inflated or your ground handling becomes more “labored”. That becomes even more evident when you attempt to push or pull the plane by hand. Becareful with ramp-rats moving your plane. Most of them are not familiar with the ground handling of a plane with castering nose wheels.

Landing: Both require getting the “sight picture” and, as Clyde pointing out, flaring “late”. Both are sensitive to ground porpoising Â… keep the nose wheel off and let it gentle settle onto the surface.

Slippery: Both planes are low in parasitic drag that result in at least having to think about slowing down before coming into the pattern.

Approach and Departure speeds: Cruise climb in the Tiger is 90 KIAS and 95 for the SR20; Approach to landing speeds - Tiger I used 70 KIAS and 65 over the fence; SR20 (despite what Wings teaches) I use 80 KIAS in the pattern, 75 over the fence Â… and 70 for Short field. Best glide is within 2 KIAS - 90 for the Tiger and 92 for the SR20.

Visibility: Both offer the best cockpit visibility in GA. Also both offer great ventilation on the ground - Tiger with the sliding canopy is tough to beat.

Entry/Exit: Both are easy to get into or out of compared to most other GA especially single door airplanes. However, the insides will get wet for both in a rain storm when getting in or out.

Fuel: Burn rates similar 10.5 to 11 GPH. Fuel capacity: 52 useable for the Tiger and 56 for the SR20.