Cirrus SR20 vs. AA5B Tiger

Are any of you lucky SR20 owners former Tiger owners? How do you compare the two airplanes?

I’ve had my Tiger since 1986, and I love it dearly. But I like the idea of the parachute for night IFR, the wider cabin, and the more modern avionics. As soon as business picks up, I’ll probably get in line with the rest of you.

Any comments would be appreciated.

I too am a Tiger owner; although, the
tiger is a good old bird, I was attracted to the Cirrus because it is faster, roomier (I’m 6’4", 230lbs)technologically more advanced, and a terrific deal at the original contract price of $144,500. The parachute seems to be a great comfort to people who do not fly much, and perhaps to me at night when it is hard to see emergency landing spots, but I would have chosen the Cirrus anyway. It is such a value when you compare it head to head with any of the currently available new airplanes. My original contract number was 67; I’ve been told to expect delivery on or before 9/15/00. Although it has been a long wait, I have enjoyed the anticipation so much that I am ordering an Eclipse twin jet which I can expect to be delivered sometime around 2003 or thereafter.

Are any of you lucky SR20 owners former Tiger owners? How do you compare the two airplanes?

I’ve had my Tiger since 1986, and I love it dearly. But I like the idea of the parachute for night IFR, the wider cabin, and the more modern avionics. As soon as business picks up, I’ll probably get in line with the rest of you.

I, three, was a Tiger driver. It is truly a great plane; however, like most GA planes it was cramped and at 6’4" and 225 comfort was a major factor for me. When I saw the Cirrus I was taken with the room, speed, and potential price (didn’t know what the price was going to be back then). As it has turned out I love the Cirrus even more than I thought I would. Two big people can sit in the front seat without having to become intimate with one another AND have a center arm rest too! It is really comfortable.

Visibility is about the same outstanding as the Tiger, which I think is one of the best in GA. Flight controls on the SR20 are “stiffer” than the Tiger, but are extremely responsive. The control inputs do not take much movement to generate a quick smooth response.

The panel is great. The absence of a control “wheel” in front you make you feel so much less cramped than the space would indicate. While I only on the ‘A’ model, I find it is more than adequate. I can use the ARNAV for situation awareness and the 430 for flight navigation and the 250 to track progress to the destination. Incidentally, I think many installations of dual 430s in planes that do not have a MFD are doing so in order to use one as the moving map and the other for IFR navigation.

The one of the major things taken directly from the Tiger is the landing gear and castering nose wheel. The mains are almost identical to the Tiger except the SR20 mains are about 8’ feet apart Â… more stable. With the Tiger you have to be careful when putting people in the back seat and then stepping up Â… the tail will drop to the ramp! Not so with the SR20. You can load the back seats and the baggage compartment and still step up without fear of having the tail drop. In fact, I have sat in the baggage compartment and the tail didn’t drop! The nose wheel works just like the Tiger Â… superbly. You have incredible maneuverability on the ground.

Approaches typically have higher and a little hotter than the Tiger, but the recent approval of 120 KIAS 50% flap extension speed it is much easier to slow down. When you lower the flaps at 120 KIAS you can slow down to 90 KIAS in relatively short order. Before the recent flap extension speed increase it was difficult to slow down within the certified limits.

I’ve had the SR20 for about 9 months and flown the SR20 nearly 300 hours now and am pleased with the plane. It is the best bargain in GA, in my view. Yes, the plane has some short comings, but overall it is a great VALUE.

Hope this helps.

I, four, am a former Tiger driver. My flying club had two of them. I’ve got about 500 hours in the second one.

I’m doing alot of the flight training and most of the ground training for my flying club.

I’ve created three HTML files showing comparative V-Speeds, Arc, recommended speeds for SR20, Mooney M20J, and Tiger AG-5B. If anyone wants them just send me an email and I’ll be happy to email them to you.

I too am a Tiger owner; although, the
tiger is a good old bird, I was attracted to the Cirrus because it is faster, roomier (I’m 6’4", 230lbs)technologically more advanced, and a terrific deal at the original contract price of $144,500. The parachute seems to be a great comfort to people who do not fly much, and perhaps to me at night when it is hard to see emergency landing spots, but I would have chosen the Cirrus anyway. It is such a value when you compare it head to head with any of the currently available new airplanes. My original contract number was 67; I’ve been told to expect delivery on or before 9/15/00. Although it has been a long wait, I have enjoyed the anticipation so much that I am ordering an Eclipse twin jet which I can expect to be delivered sometime around 2003 or thereafter.

I, five, am a 1991 Tiger owner for a little while longer. They are great aircraft, but I anticipate that my SR22 will be better!

Since the Tiger has a free castering nose wheel like the Cirrus, I’m curious whether there is a shimmy problem. If there is it may indicate a problem related to free castering wheels in general. If not, it points to a specific problem with the Cirrus design.

This must hold the record for “oldest resurrected thread” on this forum.

If you’re waiting for your Cirrus and want to get accustomed to flying a similar airplane, the Tiger is probably the best choice. Free-castering nosewheel, similar feel on the ground and in flight to the SR20 (the Tiger is lighter in roll but about the same in pitch). The SR20 V-speeds are almost uniformly “Tiger + 5 knots.” Tiger pilots have an easy transition to the Cirrus.

That being said I cannot fathom why this design is again being produced new, especially at a price comparable to an SR20 B configuration. Ahead of its time when introduced in the '70s, the Tiger is now at least a decade out of date and I doubt Tiger Aircraft Co. will sell more than a couple dozen each year–if that. IMHO these guys should wake up and smell the fiberglass.

Shimmy does not show up often in Tigers (or other Grummans). When it does, the cure is usually to adjust the torque compressing bellville(sp?) washers in the nose wheel assembly.So, I do not think that shimmy necessarily comes with free castoring nose wheels.

I also owned a Tiger before the SR22. Two comments:

1. It is the plane I would buy if I could not own a Cirrus. It is faster than most, great visability and has superb handling. And they are exceedingly sturdy and simple. Tiger owners are loyal and dedicated, that is why. The passenger room and avionics have a big leg up on the Tiger for the Cirrus. The price of the new Tiger is not competitive when compared to the Cirrus, but a good plane. I like the new ones equipment, but I would buy one used at that price - or a Cirrus :wink: Buy a good condition older one and you will have a great plane.

2. I have experienced shimmey in two different Tigers, never had one in my Cirrus. What I learned to control it in the Tiger is what I do in the Cirrus. Keep the front tires at air pressure specs, keep the torque (measured as sidepull on the nosewheel) at the max spec (maybe a bit more so it relaxes to spec after a few landing cycles) and lastely hold the nose off as long as you can and be straight when you set the front down. Do not hit the brakes if it shimmeys as that will only make it worse, pull all the way back on the stick to unload the front end and it will slow. Personally think the first two are the most critical. Works for me, have not had a shimmey for years in the Tiger and never had one in the Cirrus in a year.

Roger
N706CD