What to buy while I wait?

I’m an SR20 poosition holder with # 356 so I guess my delivery date is about 2 years off. I am a 200 hour pilot working on my instrument rating. I’ve been flying an ArcherII and now I’m ready to buy something to hold me over till my SR20 is delivered. Should I buy a '78-'82 Archer or is there a better choice that will get me ready for the Cirrus?

I’m an SR20 poosition holder with # 356 so I guess my delivery date is about 2 years off. I am a 200 hour pilot working on my instrument rating. I’ve been flying an ArcherII and now I’m ready to buy something to hold me over till my SR20 is delivered. Should I buy a '78-'82 Archer or is there a better choice that will get me ready for the Cirrus?

My two cent’s worth: if you want a near-sr20 experience, get a Grumman Tiger. Many aspects of its handling, both on the ground and in flight, are sufficiently similar as to be a good “warm-up” for the SR20. It’s really fun to fly too. There should be some 1990’s AG5B’s on the used market in quite good condition for $100K or less.

If you want another outstanding aircraft which to me offers the only other “Best Value” in GA besides the SR20, try the 260se/stol Cessna 182 modification. It has been discussed before in this forum and can be found at www.260se.com. I own one and it is a blast. Happy to discuss it by e-mail if you wish.

Kevin Moore #249

Buy my Commander 114. You can fly it for two years, get used to the Garmin 430, etc. and sell it for a profit. Based on Commander used aircraft prices over the last 10 years that’s pretty much guaranteed.

Definitely buy a Grumman Tiger! Handling on the ground is identical (steering by brakes), in the air it is just as slippery (low drag) and floats on landing if you are too fast.

I have had one for the last 6 years and will have some regrets when I sell it upon taking delivery of #544.

You may find a good value on a late 70’s model for $50-60K. Could be a better deal than, say a 90’s model AG5 that has more time on it.

There is a great owners association and a transition training program. See www.aya.org

Definitely buy a Grumman Tiger! Handling on the ground is identical (steering by brakes), in the air it is just as slippery (low drag) and float

on landing if you are too fast.

I have had one for the last 6 years and will have some regrets when I sell it upon taking delivery of #544.

You may find a good value on a late 70’s model for $50-60K. Could be a better deal than, say a 90’s model AG5 that has more time on it.

There is a great owners association and a transition training program. See www.aya.org

I also think the Tiger would be the best choice. I have had a 78 for several years and will have a hard time letting it go. However, I’m picking up N163CD next week and I can’t justify two airplanes. I’ll probably want $55,000 with a fresh annual.

Bill Graham