TAS600 instead of Skywatch?

I see the Avidyne/Ryan TAS600 is about half the price of the Skywatch. Is Cirrus thinking of switching? If not, does anyone know if a new SR2X without traffic can be retrofitted with the TAS600?

In reply to:

I see the Avidyne/Ryan TAS600 is about half the price of the Skywatch. Is Cirrus thinking of switching? If not, does anyone know if a new SR2X without traffic can be retrofitted with the TAS600?

Yes it can, just had one installed.

In reply to:

Yes it can, just had one installed.

Rodger,

The TAS600 is what I am thinking of. In order to have this done is there an STC that goes with the Avidyne unit or must one get one else where? Is there an additional cost associated with the STC assuming it is needed/available?

Emil

In reply to:

Rodger,
The TAS600 is what I am thinking of. In order to have this done is there an STC that goes with the Avidyne unit or must one get one else where? Is there an additional cost associated with the STC assuming it is needed/available?
Emil

Emil,

The TAS 600 has an available STC that you also purchase when you buy the unit. It is provided directly by Avidyne. I think they call it the Cirrus quick installation kit. That allows the antenna installations as well as the rest of the installation to be legal.

In summary, you need to buy the TAS600, the STC and then pay installation to your local avionics shop. Nothing else is needed. Good luck.

In reply to:

Emil,
The TAS 600 has an available STC that you also purchase when you buy the unit. It is provided directly by Avidyne. I think they call it the Cirrus quick installation kit. That allows the antenna installations as well as the rest of the installation to be legal.
In summary, you need to buy the TAS600, the STC and then pay installation to your local avionics shop. Nothing else is needed. Good luck.

Rodger,

Can you give the cost pf the STC and an estimate of the installation time you experienced? I believe the Avidyne (Ryan) package is getter than that current package provided with the plane. In my case I did not get the traffic and storm scope feature with my plane but hoped, in the future, to upgrade. The Avidyne or the Zaron XRX integrated passive system (release summer 2006 ?) may provide the solution I am looking for and could afford.

Emil

In reply to:

Rodger,
Can you give the cost pf the STC and an estimate of the installation time you experienced? I believe the Avidyne (Ryan) package is getter than that current package provided with the plane. In my case I did not get the traffic and storm scope feature with my plane but hoped, in the future, to upgrade. The Avidyne or the Zaron XRX integrated passive system (release summer 2006 ?) may provide the solution I am looking for and could afford.
Emil

Emil,

If you watch the members forum (if your not a member, you should become one - the wealth of info far exceeds the guest forum - in fact I rarely even look at it and post here even less) you will see most people have been roporting quotes just below 12K to a bit over 16K. Mine was a bit less than 12K total - system, STC, installation. Since you can only buy it from a Avidyne dealer, you not going to get away without buying the whole package so look at the whole picture. The shop wanted a week, I left it for two because I was out of town. Good luck.

In reply to:

Emil,
If you watch the members forum (if your not a member, you should become one - the wealth of info far exceeds the guest forum - in fact I rarely even look at it and post here even less) you will see most people have been roporting quotes just below 12K to a bit over 16K. Mine was a bit less than 12K total - system, STC, installation. Since you can only buy it from a Avidyne dealer, you not going to get away without buying the whole package so look at the whole picture. The shop wanted a week, I left it for two because I was out of town. Good luck.

Roger,

Emil is a member. The next to his name in the thread list, and the under his name in his post, are subtle clues! [;)]

• Mike.

In reply to:

Roger,
Emil is a member. The next to his name in the thread list, and the under his name in his post, are subtle clues!

• Mike.

Oops, thanks…

Hi Mike. Yep, I sure am a member of COPA since 11/02 - before I received delivery of my plane. COPA is a continuing wealth of information for me as well as other GA aircraft owners and operators. The $50 rate is a bargin.

Emil