Sun Visors

The visor on the passenger side cracked and broke completely off with gentle adjustment. Anybody have experience or recommendation with an after market solution. I’m reluctant to replace with same product as it seems pretty worthless.

Tom: I think they are just colored plexiglass. I would take the old sun visor out and take it to a plastics shop and have them make up a replacement. I broke one of them at Seattle at Wings Aloft and ever since I have cautioned pax to only move it by the metal fitting. Did you call Cirrus? If it is in an aircraft less than 2 years old it is probably in warranty.

In reply to:

Tom: I think they are just colored plexiglass. I would take the old sun visor out and take it to a plastics shop and have them make up a replacement. I broke one of them at Seattle at Wings Aloft and ever since I have cautioned pax to only move it by the metal fitting. Did you call Cirrus? If it is in an aircraft less than 2 years old it is probably in warranty.

Tom, Stephen,

A couple of weeks ago, I had a passenger do exactly the same thing – he broke a sunvisor. I called CD to order a new one, and was told that it IS still under warranty; and even though I confessed that it had help breaking, they sent me two new visors with installation hardware.

Why two? Because they’ve changed since mine were new, in January 2001. The new ones seem more robust, and they move somewhat easier - so they’re probably less likely to break. I needed two so that they’d match. Putting them in was easy, once I saw the assembly drawing, which I asked Customer Service to fax to me. Trust me – it’s not intuitive; you need the drawing.

I’m much happier with the new design.

Mike.

Tom, Cirrus has redesigned the mounting on the sun visor and I have replaced several on our planes with the new style. They seem to hold up alot better. James Knight