? Stormscope for CA pilot

I am based in No Ca, DVO Novato, and anticipate flying trips, both VFR and IFR to WA, OR, UT, CO, ID, MT, NM, AZ etc. Many of these trips will be in the summer (I do not even like the thought of ice).

I would appreciate input form others flying in these areas on the addition of a Stormscope to my SR22.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Bob

I am based in No Ca, DVO Novato, and anticipate flying trips, both VFR and IFR to WA, OR, UT, CO, ID, MT, NM, AZ etc. Many of these trips will be in the summer (I do not even like the thought of ice).

I would appreciate input form others flying in these areas on the addition of a Stormscope to my SR22.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Bob

Bob: I live about 20 miles to the north of you in Calistoga. I got the stormscope after I went IMC with a friend who had one in his 206. You really can’t pick out the friendly clouds from the hostile clouds based on their textbook appearance. I’ve been to Portland, OR and Olympia, WA twice in the past two months, and both times flew in IMC. One of those trips had occasional T-storms in the forecast. With the stormscope on, the trip was a “go.” Without it, never. aa

For what it’s worth, I’m still wondering if my scope even works…

I have YET to see a strike register.

Am I lucky? :slight_smile:

Paul